how to replace driver window

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default how to replace driver window

well i had the bracket on my window that keep it from slideing back and forth break well i went to close my door today and crash window shattered well i am going to pull a part get a other window how hard is it to put on a other breaket or should i just take the whole thing off that one

Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Since your bracket is already damaged, you might as well try to find a complete setup. Most glass shops can install and adjust the window in about an hour if you just want to take it to them.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you gotten it taken apart yet?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:27 PM

Hey guys,

I've replaced the window glass before on a fourth generation Camaro before and this is the procedure that I followed:

1) Remove the door trim panel and the inner panel water deflector.

2) Raise or lower the window, as applicable, to the half-up position.

3) Support the window in the position needed to access the rivets by inserting rubber wedge door stops at the front and rear of the window between the window and inner door panel.

4) Use a 1/4 in. (6mm) bit to drill out the attaching rivets on the sash channel.

5) Carefully raise the glass to remove from the sash channel, then remove the glass from the door.

6) Inspect the bushings, retainers, up stop, pins and wedges on the window for damage.

7) If necessary, remove the bushings and retainers using a prytool covered with cloth body tape.

8) If necessary, remove the following:
Window front up stop bolt/screw.
Up stop, nut and washer.
Window stabilizer bolts/screws.
Stabilizer pins, nuts and wedges.

Note: Consult this Camaro window diagram for more info. Click on the 'Get Info' button next to Parts Listing, then click the 'Go' button and the diagram will be displayed.

9) If removed, install the window wedges and stabilizer pins.

10) If removed, install the stabilizer pin bolts/screws and tighten to 62 inch lbs. (7 Nm).

11) Install the stabilizer pin nut, if removed and tighten to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

12) If removed, install the up stop and washer.

13) If removed, install the up stop bolt/screw and nut. Tighten the bolt/screw to 62 inch lbs. (7 Nm) and the nut to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

14) If removed, install the bushings and retainers.

15) Carefully position the window into the door so the holes in the bushings lines up with the holes in the channel.

16) Install the rivets in sequence.

17) If necessary, adjust the window as outlined later in this section.

18) Install the water deflector and trim panel.

19) Remove the drilled out rivets and shavings from the door.

20) Check the rivet bushings and retainers on the glass for damage. If necessary, remove the bushings using a flat-bladed tool covered with a cloth body tape. Install by snapping the rivet retainer into the bushing.

21) Lower the glass into the door and position on the sash channel so the holes in the sash line up with the holes in the bushings and retainers.

22) Using rivet tool J-29022 or equivalent, install 1/4 in. (6mm) peel type rivet (part No. 20184399 or equivalent) to retain the glass to sash channel.

23) Install the rear guide channel.

24) Install the front up stop to support on the inner panel.

25) Before installing the trim parts, check the window operation for performance and fit to roof rail weatherstrip.

26) Install the inner panel water deflector and the door trim panel.

There's an adjustment procedure that follows but I'll refrain from posting that unless prompted