how to gut out cats/muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Why would you need tune a car becaused you removed something that cleans your exhaust?
I guess if you gut it, then a tune isnt necessary, but I am used to the removal of cats coming from a header install, where a tune is a pretty big part of that.

ORY is off road y-pipe, meaning no cats. Most longtubes will come with an ory as you cannot use your stock cats with longtubes. You would have to cut and weld in high flow cats into your ory.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

thanx all for your posts, to clear it up, i feel like the cats are going or are partially clogged the way the car has been running as of recent

Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

also i have a pipe snake, do you think that can gutt it out well?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
Why would you need tune a car becaused you removed something that cleans your exhaust?
One reason would be to get rid of the check engine light that will go on after the cat is removed.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if your cats guts has been blown to pieces it could be plugging the muffler so new cats and muffler may be in order. sounds like a good excuse to invest in a nice cat back

Old 07-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
I guess if you gut it, then a tune isnt necessary, but I am used to the removal of cats coming from a header install, where a tune is a pretty big part of that.

ORY is off road y-pipe, meaning no cats. Most longtubes will come with an ory as you cannot use your stock cats with longtubes. You would have to cut and weld in high flow cats into your ory.
Even with headers a tune is not needed unless the O2 sensor is dramaticly repositioned. There is a differents between "Need a tune" and "could get some more performace with a tune" The computer system is all about getting the right mixture into the cylinder is what is important the only thing the exhaust is used for is a double check to make sure everything worked right and to make some fine adjustment.

You can tune a the computer to not report the missing Cat or you can buy a $2.99 adapter that backs the after Cat O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream, that way it shows less voltage.

This is just my opinion, A CAM change requires a tune, a header change does not but it can benifit from a tune more then a stock motor. I averaged 31 MPG on my last tank of gas with headers and a stock PCM.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

i forgot who recommended the site: ls1sounds.com, i went there and they all sound very much the same to me, a question though- if i buy a catback exhaust, does it come with cats, pipes, and muffler? if it doesnt, does it have holes to put in my o2 sensors? or does it bypass cats all together? the ones listed on ls1sounds, do they bolt on or hook on the stock locations? id like to buy a exhaust system, but my budget is max 800, and thats with me doing the work at home here.

31 mpgs gorn?! rub some more salt in the wounds there why dont you

i was thinking of doing a pcm reset maybe to relearn.

Id like to keep cats, as there are certain areas if your pulled over they have a mirror on a stick and look for cats, and if you dont have it, they pound the car or something like that. I went to eat a time, and stumbled on a muscle car meet, there were a few 98-02 T/A`s and the cops waited until they went to the stop light to leave and pulled all of them to the side and started the mirror business.

what really determines sound- headers, cats or muffler?

Last edited by auto; 07-12-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It will "relearn" no matter what you do. Cat backs are just that, From the Cat back (no CAT) and they should have everything you need for all your stock sensors as long as it is listed for your years. To sell a system that did not have a place for you O2 sensors they would have to list it as "off road use only"

Check Ebay for Magnaflow system. You planning on installing it yourself?

FYI 31 MPG is about 95% highway, no AC, 75 MPH.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

still kicking mpg butt for a v8 in my opinion.
okay so buying a cat back system doesnt include cats, just everything after it
so really im just getting a pipe from the front of the car to the muffler
yep i plan on doing it myself

i was looking at these ory pipes, since there is nothing inside of them like a cat, does it skew readings of the O2?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 PM
4th Gear Member

You'd get a muffler in the in the catback system as well.

Kooks makes a catted y-pipe for use with LT headers but is crazy expensive in my opinion. If you plan on getting long tubes, get a pair of cats that'll slip over the collector, cut a bit off the ory pipe so it'll mate with the stock exhaust and go from there.

Quick Reply: how to gut out cats/muffler?