how challenging are the GTPs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 PM
2nd Gear member
Default how challenging are the GTPs?

my friend has an 03 Grand Prix GTP and wants to go toe to toe with me... i've ridden in it and it feels like it really slows down after about 80mph... his is stock atm, but he said he plans on gettign a new supercharger pulley and an intercooler alogn with a tune done to it (with supporting mods) with what i have now will he like completely blow me away? ive passed him many times before and i know before i had done any mods when i went next to him i couldnt pass him (granted i started behind him)... I'm planning on getting those 4.10s put in maybe in a month or so along with a tuned up PCM and maybe a dyno tune... would that help even the playing field, or would i have to just supercharge my own car or re due the internals to catch up?

and then my other friend told me hed race me... he as an 03 SVT Cobra... which i wont even bother asking if i have a chance =]

Old 06-02-2008, 09:51 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: how challenging are the GTPs?

SVT > you.

you > GTP

you should be able to take that GTP no problem if it's stock, and even with those mods it should be a decent race.. 4.10s will help you TREMENDOUSLY. but you will need to learn how to get traction.. mite want a Posi/LSD rear too.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:54 PM
4th Gear Member

stock vs. stock

you... 285 hp, 13.8- 14.2 1/4 mile
him... 235-245 hp, 15 1/4 mile

Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

SVT > you.

you > GTP

you should be able to take that GTP no problem if it's stock, and even with those mods it should be a decent race.. 4.10s will help you TREMENDOUSLY. but you will need to learn how to get traction.. mite want a Posi/LSD rear too.
i thought the camaros came with posi..hm thanks i swear though that performance mode on the GTP is awesome....

but what i think is my downfall is that i have mid length headers on the stock y...

i e-mailed a shop and asked if they could cut my cats off and weld on straight pipes and then weld in a pair of cutouts... would that aid in the mid pipe problem chocking up my exhaust?

Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 PM
4th Gear Member

i wouldnt worry bout it for this race. you'll eat his babies if you can drive.

as for the exhaust, custom fab a Y-pipe, or go true duals and get a fabricated X pipe. get a high flow cat, and stick in cutouts before the cats.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Overdrive Member

Cutting off the cat is only going to get you 5 HP, if you're lucky. The real problem with the stock Y pipe is it's all compression bent and looks similar to a pretzel (not quite that bad, but you get the point). Needless to say, it is pretty restrictive before you even get to the cat. You should be able to take the GTP...

Old 06-03-2008, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Stock vs stock you will stomp the gtp, I raced my friends just today and beat him easially. Even thought I really like GTP's and their really good DD's you still will beat him easially.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

You shouldn't have a problem even in stock condition. Practice your launch and shifting skills.