Hi everyone..... new guy on the block.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Default Hi everyone..... new guy on the block.

I just "Googled" Camaro forum and this was the 1st to come up .... out of 3,098,003,453 results

So I just clicked on this and here I`m....

I currently have a 1997 Chevy Camaro V6 3.8L .... means a lot to me. Don`t we all feel the same ???

Never had a problem with it - sorry, the coils went about 2 years after I got the car - but other than that, nothing major.....

..... until about 1 year ago when it wouldn`t start on the 1st turn of the key. It took about 2-3 turns, then it would start and run good; no power loss, accelerates very good, etc. Took it to the mecanic, and after a full tune-up, he told me that now it should be fine.... and if it isn`t ??? Well, then its the fuel pump! And it was OK.... for 2 days. Now, the engine starts after about 4-5 turns of the key in the ignition.

I looked into the replacement of the fuel pump and it a b!*%$ to do it yourself and the mecanic is charging an arm and leg for it. I also have 2nd thoughts about it as well... I`m not so sure that it is the fuel pump.... With a previous Chevy Cavalier Z24 I had the EXACT same simptoms and it turned out to be a faulty crank shaft positioning sensor. Now, I don`t have to tell anyone in here what is the price difference between a fuel pump and a sensor ....

Anyone has any ideas ???
Thanks in advance

Old 04-14-2010, 08:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Welcome to the site. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for your current problem. But this is the place to get the help. Great people here and extremely helpful. Use the "search" key...chances are your problems/issues have already been discussed on the site.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:38 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

welcome to the site

a crankshaft position sensor is about 40 bucks if you walked into my store and wanted one.

a fuel pump is about 310 bucks if you bought it through me which would be the sender and everything.

if i were you and you think its the sensor, buy it, throw it on. if it doesn't work, you're out 40 bucks as oppose to 310 if you bought the pump and it didn't fix it. you can go into your trunk and cut out a little hatch to access the fuel pump a lot easier. i'm sure someone on this site has done it

Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

scann it for trouble codes and see what/if the computer has stored any.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:51 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

id check the starter,,, i just had this problem, if its not even trying to turn over the first couple of times then starts like there was never a problem you may have a faulty starter, got mine fixed like 2 weeks ago

Old 04-14-2010, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whammer3024
a crankshaft position sensor is about 40 bucks if you walked into my store and wanted one.
Hey Whammer, just curious, do you work at/own an auto parts store or something more camaro specific?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by black68
Hey Whammer, just curious, do you work at/own an auto parts store or something more camaro specific?
Haha I'd sure hope so otherwise he'd be talking out his tailpipe.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:26 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

talking out his tailpipe,,, hahahahah car humor

Old 04-14-2010, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by luciora
Haha I'd sure hope so otherwise he'd be talking out his tailpipe.
For the record I have absolutely no intrest in Whammer's (or anyone else's )tailpipe.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. Sorry, I really didn't intend to hijack your thread.

Quick Reply: Hi everyone..... new guy on the block.