hey everyone! new guy help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:13 PM

While I'm here, let me tell you Mr Alpine, I've had my 3800 since Oct of 2001 and I have not yet fallen out of love with it. Just keep in mind though, there's only so much you can do to a v6. Cat back, K&N system, some premium black wheels, and an amp/sub does the trick for me.

And fyi, my t tops have never leaked. Cant say I use them a whole lot though. No where to put them with the stereo equipment in the trunk. But god do they look good with the rest of the windows tinted and those black wheels. The car itself is Pewter. 2 toned, but not really, you know?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM

Yea but I dont have that button. I've clicked on "new threads" and "new posts" and all it does is direct me to everyone elses. Idk

So you think it's perfectly normal? I figured it was condensation, just wasn't sure how much other stuff was supposed to be mixed with it. 2 things though. My evap box can only be accessed from inside the car it appears, and yes that is confirmed in the service manual I have, says 02 only. And secondly, if it's not too much trouble, if anybody can give me an exact location for where this possibly clogged condensation tube is, I would be very greatful. Thank you so much

Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Overdrive Member

Well if you have a book and already know the answer why are you here? I have been working on these cars for years now and I have not seen any signifigant changes to the heater boxes from 97. And all of the heater boxes have to be accessed from inside the car, I have put more heater cores in these things than I care to remember. as for the location of the tube look under the car at the firewall on the passenger's side for a small rubber tube or gromet this should be the drain.

Massey

Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 PM

Lol sorry if I offended you dude. Just wanted to make sure this tube really does exist and it's where everybody says it is, cuz I'm having a problem locating it. Saw somewhere I had to access the evap housing but I'm not sure how to do that either. But anyway, I'll check it again.

Here's another question that I hope doesn't offend you, but if this is perfectly normal, then how come I never saw these stains before now? Again, sorry if I've annoyed you. Just dont wanna have to trust a dealer with this if its something as stupid as unclogging a drain tube. And thank you so much for your help. I mean it

Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 PM

Alpine..
Let me chime in and agree. 3.8 v6 is a great motor. this motor was on wards top 10. Can't beat it. Best word of advice.. Read all you can about camaros do your research and it will all pay off in the end. Don't let a seller sell you more BS than car

Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Overdrive Member

The stains could have always been and just now noticed, or you have some oil or dirt that is new under the car that the water is picking up and putting on the driveway. The humidity in your area is going to play a part in how much water condenses and drips off the cold parts of the A/C system. Looky under the car to see if there is any new oily stuffs that should not be there. The 02 Camaro should have had Dex-Cool in it from the factory which is a red color but if that was leaking it would not be going out the drain but onto the carpet in the passenger foot well.

Like I said before I have done several heater cores in several Camaros and quite a few others in many model cars so before I try and give an exact location of the drain tube and cross models. I have not had the pleasure (if you will call it that) to do a 4th Gen heater core in about 3 years so my memory of the exact location will be rusty. My last heater core was a 96 Silverado and that has a small notch in one half that drains the fluids down the outside firewall.

Massey

Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

see if this helps massey. found it at shbox.

Attached Thumbnails hey everyone! new guy help please-a_c_drain.jpg  
Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 PM

Yea I've seen that photo before but it doesn't really help me any. I'm guessing that's the inside of the housing? Idk, but thanks anyway guys. I really do appreciate all of your help. Lol now if I can just figure out how to post my own thread on here. I have some useful info on the whole security light vats thing and I'd love to share it with everyone

Old 08-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Ok well idk what the heck is going on, but I guess I joined with the wrong membership or something. I can add to threads, but I cant start my own. Whatever.

Anyway, security light. Mine came on one day and has never gone off, but the engine starts just fine. After literally spending hours of research on line to find some help, I finally came across something that was useful.

Ironically, that stupid @ss vats module is actually smart enough to know that if a fault occurs while driving, then obviously the vehicle isn't trying to be stolen. It wont shut down on you while you're driving of course, and it will let you start your car every time thereafter. But, your smartkey probably doesn't work. And I say probably, because there's so much more to the vats than just the key.

As some of you may know, there are output relays on the vats that active both the starter, and the fuel injectors. These two could go bad as well, so the problem may not always be the smartkey, or passkey or whatever its called.

Additionally, most of these so called "vats bypass modules" ONLY bypass the key part. The internal relays to trigger the starter and fuel are still left vulnerable and are at the mercy of the vats. Fyi, its a little more costly, but there is a complete vats bypass module.

One more thing, everybody reading this should do themselves a favor and find out what thier key's resisitor value is BEFORE it goes bad on you, because there will be no knowing what its value is at that point. Then head to radio shack or wherever and pick one up to keep in the car. They are VERY cheap and well worth the investment since you wont be driving anywhere when your vats decide's its time to funk up...

Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

imagine your laying on your back under the front passenger side of the car with your feet out the front of the car looking up at the area between the back passenger side of the motor and the firewall and the wheelwell.

Originally Posted by TimT*02
Yea I've seen that photo before but it doesn't really help me any. I'm guessing that's the inside of the housing? Idk, but thanks anyway guys. I really do appreciate all of your help. Lol now if I can just figure out how to post my own thread on here. I have some useful info on the whole security light vats thing and I'd love to share it with everyone