hey everyone! new guy help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Default hey everyone! new guy help please

whats up guys! just registered this is my first post haha. Anyway i have some quick questions. im currently looking at getting my first car ( im 17) and ive always loved the 4th gen camaros. so i figured why not try one for my first. im looking at getting any 4th gen 6 cylinder camaro. i dont want the z28 cause thats alot more on insurance. but as far as when i go to look at the car what should i typically look for as far as problems? i read about the t tops leaking i know that and all about the crappy optispark i can replace that. ( i take an automotive class at my highschool so im pretty mechanically inclined to work on cars) but just what are some things in general i should look for? any certain noises or wierd vibrations common with the 4th gen camaro? im looking to spend 4000$ so i figured i can get a decent one. hopefully with 100xxx miles or less. thanks for the help anyone

Old 08-14-2012, 08:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the 96 and 97 with 3.8 and 98-02 3.8 would be the ones you want to look at. other than that they are cars and getting older every day so concerns would be like any other auto thats 12-17 yrs old and just so you know the 6 does not have an opti.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:10 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!

First, since you are looking for a 4th gen V6, try to find a '96 or later. They are OBD-II computers which makes getting codes easier. They also have the better 3.8L engine vs 95 and older 3.4L. Also, since you're getting a V6, the opti-spark is not of concern (and not as crappy as they are made out to be). Personally, I stray from T-top cars because of the leaks and also because I don't like them as much as a solid roof.

Edit: Darn, Craby beat me

Old 08-14-2012, 08:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

Look under, over and around for rust.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM

Sorry Alpine, but I am new too and have no idea how to start my own thread, so please allow me to use yours. Apparently I know as much about computers as I do about cars, because it says I'm allowed to start new threads, but I just cant figure out how.

Anyway, 02 Camaro. Leaking something on the exterior of the firewall right around where the evap and heater core are. I'm pretty sure it's condesation. All my fluid levels are fine. What worries me though, is that whatever it is, stains the driveway and has a slight oily residue to it with a VERY slight reddish tint. It absolutely has something to do with the cooling system, because it only happens when the a/c is running.

What's up with this drain plug I've read so much about and why cant I seem to find it? I believe the 02's evap may be slightly different from the other year's. I know because I have a service manual and it states that replacing the evap requires tearing out the h/c and instrument cluster and every thing else on 02's only. Somebody, anybody, help please. Thanks, and sorry again for using your thread Alpine

Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Definitely get the 3.8L. Check to make sure nothing is leaking...like the intake manifold....etc.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:03 PM

No rust. It's a 3800 btw. There's a void between the engine where I can see right through to where the heater's hoses go into the firewall. I can get my hand right there and everything's dry. But right beneath that where pieces of the firewall all tie together is where the water becomes visual. Also, it doesn't happen as soon as the a/c is turned on. Takes a couple of minutes, which leads me to believe its condensation. But man does it ever flow. And again, it stains the driveway and has a VERY light reddish tint. And a VERY faint oily smell. I'd love to find this drain and be able to eliminate that from the equation...

Old 08-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Overdrive Member

like it is said above stay away from the 93-95 V6 cars as the 3.4L engine was a ill concieved dog at best. The computer systems from the 96+ cars are also much better but in the 96-02 area there are some subtle changes that make some models better than others. I will break it all down for you.

96 had old interior and wedge shaped nose. The first year to have a BCM but that BCM is very limited and needs dealer intervention to make programing changes. Cable throttle on the engine. This intake is more restrictive than the TBW intake.

97 has new interior, and the last year for the wedge shaped nose. The BCM is new and some features can be programed into it with out the dealer. Same cable throttle and restrictive intake.

98 New "catfish" nose. The body update also impoved the intake but it is still not as good as the 99-02. BCM is the same as the 97.

99-02 are virtually unchanged. The intake and throttle has been changed as with a couple of other emissions features on the engine. The TBW is capable of assisting in the economy of the engine better than the cable thottle was. The change in the intake actually gives the engine a couple extra HP but GM didnt advertise it, still listing the engine at 200HP when it was closer to 205-210.

As for the T-tops leaking. This usually can be fixed with minor adjustments. The usual attempt to fix the leaks is to make the tops fit tighter but that actually will cause the gaskets to not line up properly and make the leak worse. There is thread here about how to fix the common leak spot for the rear area of the tops, I made thread based on a repair method I have. I have done this repair on 4 cars now and only had to redo one top on 1 car. That is 7/8 tops with the last one sealed on try #2.

Massey

Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by TimT*02
Sorry Alpine, but I am new too and have no idea how to start my own thread, so please allow me to use yours. Apparently I know as much about computers as I do about cars, because it says I'm allowed to start new threads, but I just cant figure out how.

Anyway, 02 Camaro. Leaking something on the exterior of the firewall right around where the evap and heater core are. I'm pretty sure it's condesation. All my fluid levels are fine. What worries me though, is that whatever it is, stains the driveway and has a slight oily residue to it with a VERY slight reddish tint. It absolutely has something to do with the cooling system, because it only happens when the a/c is running.

What's up with this drain plug I've read so much about and why cant I seem to find it? I believe the 02's evap may be slightly different from the other year's. I know because I have a service manual and it states that replacing the evap requires tearing out the h/c and instrument cluster and every thing else on 02's only. Somebody, anybody, help please. Thanks, and sorry again for using your thread Alpine

You should be able to start your own posts by clicking the start new post button at the top of the thread list.

To answer your question the water is dripping from the reciever/drier part of the A/C or the evaporator which is inside the heater box. This is perfectly normal and the coloring of the water is contaminates it is picking up as it finds it drip point. There is nothing other than not using the A/C that you can do about the water and as for the contaminates you can only clean under the car to make sure it is not picking up anything off the chassis. There is nothing different about the A/C system from 97-02, all the parts are interchangeable.

Oh and DONT plug the drain hole in the bottom of the heater box. If you do that water will end up inside the car, dripping on the passenger's front foot well and also getting blown up into the vents and onto the people in the car. It is supposed to drain or leak out the bottom of the heater box.

Massey

Last edited by Massey; 08-14-2012 at 09:12 PM.