Help, starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Post Help, starting issues

I have a weird problem. On a cold start, my car will start perfectly fine. No problems. But as soon as my car has been driven and is still in a somewhat near operating temperature, it will have a slow to no start at all. I'll pump the gas pedal while the engine is turning in the starting process just to get it started. The check engine light is on and I got it read, which said it was an issue of my engine temp gauge not working (separate issue, or maybe this is the cause). I'm thinking it's a misfire issue or something like that. Please help. And I'm not gonna lie, I'm not the most intelligent guy when it comes to cars so you're gonna have to dumb it down for me, haha.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Tech Droid

It would help if you gave us the trouble code number, engine type V6 or V8, and model year. The reason for this is that some engines use separate temp sensors for the temp gage and the computer, while others use a single sensor doing both jobs. If the sensor serving the computer is bad, it may cause starting problems. The gage being bad will not cause hard starting. Pumping the gas pedal on fuel injected engine (assuming you have a fuel injected engine) accomplishes nothing useful, but confuses the computer and makes the problem worse.
That being said, I had a very similar problem in my car, and it turned out to be bad injectors. In my case two injectors leaked when the engine was turned off. The extra fuel would collect in the intake runners and eventually leak into the crankcase. When the engine had been standing long enough to cool down all the extra fuel leaked out, and the engine started normally. When the engine was still warm the extra fuel was still in the intake and caused a rich condition, making the engine hard to start; having to crank 5-10 seconds compared to about 1-2 seconds when it was cold. A fuel pressure test showed normal pressure, and pressure drop was within limits when the engine was off, thus tending to confuse the issue. Puling the fuel rail with the injectors and pressurizing the system showed no leaks; however, there were 2 injectors that dribbled while tapping them with the handle of a screw driver.
I am not saying that this is your problem, so don't go changing injectors till all other possibilities have been investigated.

Last edited by z28pete; 12-21-2011 at 01:27 AM.