Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
What did you do to rule out the pedal sensor?

The ASR light coming can go hand and hand with the pedal sensor. BUT since the ASR light keeps coming and staying on, it's possible that ASR is sticking causing the reduced power.
I did not see this thread man. ASR sticking? Makes sense, but I know nothing about the ASR, I don't even know where to start with that. And I lost? my manual, I am so over this. I think it has to be the ASR, why else would the light come on followed by reduced engine power?

Old 03-14-2017, 10:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what has been replaced?

Old 03-15-2017, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear member

Here's a pdf from the 2002 owners manual and the service manual explaining the ASR system. Have you tried shutting off the ASR switch to see if that makes a difference? That's suppose to place the ASR in a passive mode while maintaining the ABS system. You may need a scanner capable of checking for any codes set by the ABS system to diagnose .

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
02 OwnersManualASR.pdf (11.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: pdf
ABS and TCS.pdf (234.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by peterpar; 03-15-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by peterpar
Here's a pdf from the 2002 owners manual and the service manual explaining the ASR system. Have you tried shutting off the ASR switch to see if that makes a difference? That's suppose to place the ASR in a passive mode while maintaining the ABS system. You may need a scanner capable of checking for any codes set by the ABS system to diagnose .
Thank you Peterpar... I cannot open the files, don't know why but my phone will not open them. MAF,MAP,throttle body, the whole gas pedal and sensor, all one unit, crank positioning sensor, Cam position sensor, spark plugs.Like I said everything but the computer and the ASR. That's what comes on when it's reduces power is the ASR light.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jesselee38
Thank you Peterpar... I cannot open the files, don't know why but my phone will not open them. MAF,MAP,throttle body, the whole gas pedal and sensor, all one unit, crank positioning sensor, Cam position sensor, spark plugs.Like I said everything but the computer and the ASR. That's what comes on when it's reduces power is the ASR light.
And Ya I have tried the switch it has no effect.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Jesselee38
I cannot open the files, don't know why but my phone will not open them.
When you click on the files on your phone, they are downloaded and may need an Acrobat Reader app to open. Should be available for free in apps store. You might also have to open downloads to find them.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have been giving people advice on this website for the last 8 years. What I have found is that trying to walk a non-electronic person through a complicated electronic process is a waste of time. It has never works out. Most of the time the poster ends up taking to a shop and it ends up being something simple that the poster was not testing right.

The garage that is willing to work on this that is not a dealership with have a VERY expensive scan tool that will let them look inside the ASR system so they will not have to guess.
I will say that the power reduction is when the ASR system sees a difference between the pedal and the TPS sensor. Most of the time its fluctuation in the pedal signal but it could be a great many things that include just about anything in the system and the wiring that connects it.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
I have been giving people advice on this website for the last 8 years. What I have found is that trying to walk a non-electronic person through a complicated electronic process is a waste of time. It has never works out. Most of the time the poster ends up taking to a shop and it ends up being something simple that the poster was not testing right.

The garage that is willing to work on this that is not a dealership with have a VERY expensive scan tool that will let them look inside the ASR system so they will not have to guess.
I will say that the power reduction is when the ASR system sees a difference between the pedal and the TPS sensor. Most of the time its fluctuation in the pedal signal but it could be a great many things that include just about anything in the system and the wiring that connects it.
I know wiring, and I have been working on cars since I was a little kid. Unless you have the car I have you don't know enough about it to make a comment like that. How about this smart guy. A friend of mine has an 02 just like mine, his is fine, I took the gas pedal out of his car and put it in mine and it does the same ****. The wiring is fine. So whatever man.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

that proves the pedal sender is probly working. does not test the wiring or the tps or the throttle control at the throttle body. could be the butterflies in the tb are sticking causing different readings.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by craby
that proves the pedal sender is probly working. does not test the wiring or the tps or the throttle control at the throttle body. could be the butterflies in the tb are sticking causing different readings.
OMFG man. What part of it is a brand new throttle body don't you understand?

Quick Reply: Help please!