help please????

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:42 PM
2nd Gear member
Default help please????

ok well i have a 94 lt1 6 spd, i was pulling codes 16 and 63, to eliminate them i changed the 02 sensors and tps it cleared the codes. now i am not pulling any codes didnt help how the car ran so now i changed the egr and pcv. still no help. my car seems to have a backfire when i hit the throtlle, the engine only has 30,000 miles on it and had new optispark, plugs, and wires when it was done. just looking for some help on what the heck would make my car go haywire like this

Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: help please????

what do you mean a back fire? just a pop in the exhaust or is the motor havin trouble?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: help please????

Changing the O2 sensors took care of DTC 63 and cleared the MIL. However, the parts you changed have nothing to do with DCT 16. DCT 16 will not cause the MIL to light but will cause the engine to run poorly or not at all. DCT 16 is set when the PCM does not detect low res pulses from the Optispark. This will normally keep the engine from starting, but being that the engine runs, it is an indication that this problem could be intermittent. DTC 16 can be caused by the low and high res signals being shorted to each other, or a bad Optispark. There is a test connector between the Opti and the PCM. Disconnect the connector and turn the key to ON.

With a voltmeter look back on the RED/BLK wire towards the PCM and you should see 4 to 6 Volt. Less than 0.5 volt = wire is either open or grounded, or bad connector at the PCM , or bad PCM. Over 6 volt = wire is shorted to voltage or to low res circuit from PCM.

If the voltage from the PCM was good, then the problem ison the optispark side of the connector. Measure voltage on the same RED/BLK wire from the opti side of the connector. Less than 0.5 volt = open or grounded wire or no signal from opti, 4-6 volt = bad connection or bad opti, over 6 volt = short to voltage.