Help me ID my motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:32 PM
Default Help me ID my motor

I have a 1994 Corvette with an LT1 motor, I recently found out that the motor is a transplant from an F-body. I am trying to figure out what the motor is. I believe it to be a Camaro and was hoping someone could identify it. The engine block is punched as V0924WHF which is 94 Chevy, the WHF (I believe is an F-body) The reason I believe it is a Camaro motor is because it is a steel block with aluminum heads. I was told only the Camaro had the aluminum heads on the 1994 LT1. Also if this is a Camaro motor, does anyone know if there is any mechanical difference between the Corvette and the 1994 Camaro LT1.
The reason i ask this is to have the true identity of the motor for when I order parts.
I really appreciate any help anyone has
Thanks
Woody3882@aol.com

Old 08-03-2017, 08:33 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

vette and camaro lt1's are basicly the same engine. vette had 4 bolt main and different cam. i was thinking the 94 vette had a lt4 but that could just be a option.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:55 PM
4th Gear Member

your link does not work,the vin # should give you what you need to know i do think all lt1 engines had aluminum heads my 95 did ,so it could be from most any year .though makes more sence if it was 94,should find vin on one of the heads.the vett would have been 300hp, the camaro would have been detuned version at 275hp cam specs so on ,but best bet is to find the vin # an know for sure ,wont know just by looking at it

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-04-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Woody3882
I have a 1994 Corvette with an LT1 motor, I recently found out that the motor is a transplant from an F-body. I am trying to figure out what the motor is. I believe it to be a Camaro and was hoping someone could identify it. The engine block is punched as V0924WHF which is 94 Chevy, the WHF (I believe is an F-body) The reason I believe it is a Camaro motor is because it is a steel block with aluminum heads. I was told only the Camaro had the aluminum heads on the 1994 LT1. Also if this is a Camaro motor, does anyone know if there is any mechanical difference between the Corvette and the 1994 Camaro LT1.
The reason i ask this is to have the true identity of the motor for when I order parts.
I really appreciate any help anyone has
Thanks
Woody3882@aol.com
He's right, I believe the Z28s had P in the VIN

Old 08-05-2017, 01:04 AM

where would I look to find the motor VIN on the LT1
Thanks

Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

LT4 was 96 Manual shift only. Full vin is not on the motor.

If it most likely that ANY parts that would be different where switched. If they had half a brain the Camaro engine was stripped to the bare long block and the Vett parts where installed. There are slight difference in the fuel rails and parts like that but getting the different fuel rails to work in the Vett would be a pain. You could spend days research each part to verify its the same or different or you spend one hour switching everything over. I know what I would do or any professional for that matter. Could you imagine after the motor was installed finding parts that did not work then having to re-pull the motor to switch it out. No way I would switch everything.

The long block are the same except for the 4 bolt main. Since they used the correct year motor you should be fine ordering any Vett parts for that year even internal engine parts. If for some crazy reason you had to order a new block you just order the Vett version and all the camaro parts would fit in it.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-05-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:22 AM
4th Gear Member

it would be the p vin like said though wich should be on one of your heads may have to clean some oil to see it ,but gorn gave you all the info you need too

Old 08-05-2017, 11:24 PM
4th Gear Member

The only part of the VIN on the block is the year and the numerical number of the vehicle.

The only differences between the Y-body and F-boy are:

Cam specs
Head flow
4 bolt vs 2 bolt block
Water pump
Accessory drive is on the drivers side vs passenger side
Exhaust manifolds

All internal parts are interchangeable. Order parts for you Vette and you will be fine.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:10 AM
4th Gear Member

those numbers can. still find the vin # though wich should be p

Old 08-06-2017, 03:02 PM
4th Gear Member

The engine will not have a P on it, to my knowledge, to prove it came from an F-body. The eight digit of the VIN was the designation for what engine was originally to be in that car.

However, the heads do a have a casting number and F and Y body used different heads so different casting numbers. If the block is a two bolt main, it is a guarantee that it's out of a F, B, or D body car, which regardless of which doesn't matter because they are all the same.

Regardless of what it came out of, if he orders parts for a 'Vette, they will most certainly fit.

Quick Reply: Help me ID my motor