Help maintaining my camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Default Help maintaining my camaro

Hi i jus bought a 95 camaro that has 230,000 miles on it and i am planing to rebuild the engine soon. i am asking help on maintaining my car, like wat items to replace, wat new to buy for it and wat to inspect for problems. Thank you for any help

Old 11-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Help maintaining my camaro

Maintain it like you would any other car. If you're rebuilding the engine make sure that you get a full gasket set for it and replace all gaskets and seals you come across. I would probably consider replacing the cat at 230k. You're going to want to replace the distributor and water pump while you have the motor out. Other than that, take good care of it and it should take good care of you!

Old 11-15-2008, 12:08 AM

thank you for your help. wat does cat stand for?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Overdrive Member

Catalytic Converter, sorry, I realize that's not a very good shorthand since it has another meaning. It's not necessarily a necessary item (that's redundant...) to be replaced, but sometimes they do clog and can make the car start to bog down.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:44 PM

alright thanks, i was told by the previous owner i should replace it and i planned on doing it around the time when i rebuild my engine, is there any converters u would recommend

Old 11-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Overdrive Member

You could just go for an OEM unit, although if you want to get a little more power out of it you should go with either a Random Technology or Magnaflow Metallic High Flow cat, you only loose about 2 HP with a good high flow cat, and you still save the penguins!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:31 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

A lot depends on how much you want to refresh the old girl I am assuming this is a LT1 car. Personally i would replace the rings, bearings and have the crank turned and balanced to go with it at the very least. If you wanted to spend a little extra money maybe going .15 over with new pistons and having the heads shaved a little might not be a bad investment since you already have the engine apart . If you do start refresing the bottom end replace all your retaining bolts for the rods and main bearings it will pay off in the long run.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: cbr600rx7

A lot depends on how much you want to refresh the old girl I am assuming this is a LT1 car. Personally i would replace the rings, bearings and have the crank turned and balanced to go with it at the very least. If you wanted to spend a little extra money maybe going .15 over with new pistons and having the heads shaved a little might not be a bad investment since you already have the engine apart . If you do start refresing the bottom end replace all your retaining bolts for the rods and main bearings it will pay off in the long run.
arent the main bearing and head bolts all TTY? so once you take them apart you have to replace the bolts. I dunno much about chevy's so sorry if that info is wrong. I just assume that goes for all engines.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:23 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

You can re install main baring bolts after you remove them as long as the bolts have not been stretched. However on a engine with this many miles that may or may not have been run hard at times its a little bit of money that could save you a lot in the future. The same thing goes with rod bolts.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

With 230k on the clock replaceing all of the bolts mentioned should be in the works for the rebuild. At this point there is no history on the car so we can assume that the car has been ran hard. Better safe than sorry. No use putting a bunch of $$ only to have something like a bolt let go then you've wasted your hard earned cash. I'd go with what cbr600rx7said. Pretty good advice.

Quick Reply: Help maintaining my camaro