Help identifying tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Question Help identifying tubing?

1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L

I jacked up the driver's rear side and went under the car in search of a charcoal filter but instead stumbled on this tube coming from the front of the car that splits at some adapter piece into 2 tubes and they lead to the back tire area. I believe they are the hydraulic lines for the back brakes but there is a build up of moisture above them and I think i located the once specific tube that's leaking. Could be why my ABS light is on?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:06 AM
4th Gear Member

Does it go to a block connected to the rear diff housing and then split off to either wheel from there? If so, then those are for your brakes. Follow them all the way, should connect to the wheel cylinder for the rear brakes. Is it water or is it brake fluid that is leaking?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Does it go to a block connected to the rear diff housing and then split off to either wheel from there? If so, then those are for your brakes. Follow them all the way, should connect to the wheel cylinder for the rear brakes. Is it water or is it brake fluid that is leaking?
It feels rather oily and its almost like there is probably a small mist.. and yea i'm pretty sure they are the brake lines. Could this by why my ABS light is on? Is it an easy repair? I've done a handful of things to this car like cutting out and repairing a part of the fuel line and replacing a sway bar link but nothing too complicated.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 AM

The lines also have a small foam bit on them kind of like spark plug wires.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:14 PM
4th Gear Member

Follow them to the wheels and see where they connect. I know the parking brake cables have a foam over them, but I honestly don't remember if the hydraulic lines have it. Any chance you can get a pic? That'll make things easier.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

brake line is steel until it gets to the hose to the reared then it splits after the hose. im thinking its the evap hose and one goes to the tank and the other goes to the canister.
http://shbox.com/1/evap_system.jpg

Old 08-12-2014, 05:58 PM

Follow them to the wheels and see where they connect. I know the parking brake cables have a foam over them, but I honestly don't remember if the hydraulic lines have it. Any chance you can get a pic? That'll make things easier.
They have a foam bit on them so that could be it.. ill get a picture and post it up really soon

Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 PM

The red rectangle shows the tubes in question. To the left is the fuel tank and you can actually see some of the leaked oils on the side of the fuel tank reflecting in the light and both of those foam pieces on the tubes go to each tire. How easy would the repair of the leaking tube be?

Name:  Xvt23Kb.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  61.5 KB

Last edited by JackFrost; 08-12-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Those that you have identified by the red box are your parking brake cables.

The single, forward one goes to the parking brake lever. The two that come from the equalizer bracket & run back to the rear brakes are the aft cables inside a simple housing similar to a bicycle or motorcycle brake cable. A squirt of motorcycle chain/cable lube at the points where the cable enters the housing once a year is all that's needed there.

The two large foam/rubber pieces do nothing other than cut down on rattles, squeaks and vibration. If you squeese them & they feel moist, it's OK if it feels like oil, or is oily. Some mechanics spray 3-in-one oil in those cable ends....

Along the left side of your red box, that's the drivers side, rear seat floor pan under the rear bucket seat. The fuel tank is located above the rear end (axle), and runs horizontal, (sideways), and is partially hidden by small pieces of heat shielding.

At the bottom & right of your red box, that's the torque arm, that runs between the rear axle & the trans tail shaft area.

As far as your ABS light goes, get the codes read for free at AutoZone, or one of the other auto parts stores in your area, and see if any code(s) have been set.....

Last edited by Jim in Indy; 08-12-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jim in Indy
Those that you have identified by the red box are your parking brake cables.

The single, forward one goes to the parking brake lever. The two that come from the equalizer bracket & run back to the rear brakes are the aft cables inside a simple housing similar to a bicycle or motorcycle brake cable.

The two large foam/rubber pieces do nothing other than cut down on rattles, squeaks and vibration.
Where do you think the moisture might be coming from in that case?

Quick Reply: Help identifying tubing?