Help!: I need a picture.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 01:00 AM
NK1
Angry Help!: I need a picture.

Okay, I have a stupid problem I'm hoping someone here can help me with. 2001 Z/28 350ci/6-speed. I need pictures of the back-up light switch (passenger side of the transmission housing), the wiring harness for it, and how they're positioned in relationship to the exhaust and catalytic converter. And I can't find anything useful with Google.

Here's why:

I took my car in for a state inspection this weekend. Checked everything out ahead of time since I didn't want to turn it into a whole day. I knew I shouldn't have done this, but I went to one of those chain oil change places. Back-up lights worked coming in. Failed the inspection because of a bad belt (which isn't part of the inspection, but I just wanted it done so I didn't make a battle out of it). Bought a belt, went home, installed the belt: elapsed distance ~1/4 mile. I went to check everything over again and the back up lights didn't work. Fuse was fine; replaced the bulbs and it still didn't work. Only thing left was the switch on the tranny. And I'm starting to get suspicious: they'd already (illegally) failed me because of the s-belt, probably to generate more work, and they had the car up on the lift for some reason when they took me out to show me the belt. So I googled the shop and found a page of complaints on them about as long as the record of my moving violations. BIG RED FLAG.

Driveway here is a 40 degree angle, and trying to jack up a car on the street out front is about as safe as reaching up under a running lawn mower, so I took it to the shop Tuesday. Told them to keep an eye out for anything suspicious. And they called me back a bit later and told me that "somehow" the wiring harness had disconnected itself, invented antigravity, and wrapped itself over the catalytic converter. Yeah, "somehow". Now, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a good idea to vandalize someone's ride when they turn their own wrenches. And it's a really bad idea if their caller-ID shows up as a law office.

Game on.

I need pictures of the forward/passenger undercarriage of one of these, and I don't have an easy way to get them. I've got pictures of the burned-up harness and how the wire was found, but the shop took close-up cellphone shots: I need to be able to show a jury that the end of that wiring harness couldn't just fall off the switch and land on the exhaust pipe/catalytic converter. Does anyone have some pictures of that area floating around?

Thanks for your time.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Found this (link) looking around for T56 reverse light sensor pictures. Showed the harness while it was out of some dudes car there, very clearly.