Headliner removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Default Headliner removal

Daughter's headliner is sagging. I've watched the various videos on line and does not seem too difficult to fix. But, just how difficult is the removing the headliner process, before I commit to this venture? Just a quick look seems like the only real issue is the shoulder part of the seat belts. Do I also have to pop off all the plastic trim? Any insights would be appreciated.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 AM
I Like to Party

I had to remove mine to replace it; the seat belt parts arent what you have to worry about, there is actually a cutout so that they're able to slide right out. The only difficulty your really going to face is getting it out of the car(Which really the only way is through the hatch). You want to take it out without damaging any part of it, I recommend taking a few of the top panels out, along with the dome light(two screws), and slowly inch it out. The only thing keeping it attached to the top is a piece of velcro. The headliner comes off but do it slowly and at your leisure, sometimes replacing it isn't all that necessary, slowly peel the headliner off until you get to the sagging part, use some 3M Adhesive Spray (Extra strength to be safe) and spray it on the bottom of the peeled headliner, hold it back down on the headliner insulation, and it should stay. Hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:17 PM

Are you saying peal it back without taking it out of the car or are you referring to just not replacing the actual material?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:31 PM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by mickeykelley
Are you saying peal it back without taking it out of the car or are you referring to just not replacing the actual material?
The material. If its just sagging in one spot and its still in decent condition, take the entire headliner out (where all there is is bare metal on top), and do the procedure mentioned above, there really is no need to spend money on new headliner material if there are no holes etc. in the old one.

Edit* There may not be slits to slide it out from the seatbelt, there was in mine but my headliner had already been messed with. You may have to slit it yourself

Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 PM

When I initially looked at it, I did not see any slits which is why I said that looks to be the problem area. I'm hoping there is some sort of access to the bolt mechanism which can be undone as apposed to slitting it. My plan was to try to reuse the cloth but was waiting until I get it out to see. Thanks for the input...

Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i picked up a plastic one with the covering on it from here.
93-02 Chevy Camaro Headliner, Hard Top, Chevrolet Headliner 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
looks and works great. they also have adhesive and fabric.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:49 PM
I Like to Party

^They sell some on ebay for around 120, I need to replace mine as well, when I replaced mine before I used some black sub carpeting that a friend had and it looks slightly..well,ghetto. Lol.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 PM

In removing the plastic molding that wraps around from the front windshield A pillar across the top of the door. I assume there are just plastic clips holding it in place but where is the best place to start to avoid breaking the molding? I want to avoid creating more damage so looking for any suggestions first. I see where it looks best to remove visors, then this molding I'm referring to. Those that have done it before, which pieces first to make it easier? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 AM

I did but it does not cover the outer trim piece. Her's is not a T-top but probably same. Main thing is the outer trim piece removal. Again, I assume it just pops out but want to verify before just yanking.

Quick Reply: Headliner removal