headgasket blown on 3.8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:14 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default headgasket blown on 3.8?

So my car smelled like coolant one day with no overheating. I pulled over i saw no leaks so i went home and noticed no drop in coolant. Today i was about to drive off and i saw coolant on the ground. I took off my radiator cap and turned on the car. There was smoke coming out. I added very little water and it started to overflow. I then turned off the car and it gushed out most of my coolant. It was like a geyser. Im assuming this is a headgasket. So im heading out to kragens to buy the kit, new thermostat, and coolant. Im going to start this project tomorrow. Any tips, advise, special tools i will need? I'm going to compression test the cylinders also.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Overdrive Member

You need to try to dry it all off, and try to locate where the leak is.

Did you check all the hoses and that connections are tight?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sure sounds like a head gasket or cracked head or block. have the heads done at a shop while there out. valves and check for warping or cracks.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do a pressure test to verify the head gasket. Sounds like that is it. I put in a fail safe thermostat for peice of mind. Don't cheap out on the head gaskets. Get a good set.

Only other advice I have is get a good set of gloves and a back brace and a full bottle of asprin. If you are over 21 make that bottle of asprin a case of beer.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i suggest fel-pro gaskets, and you WILL need head bolts and a torque angle gauge to properly install the heads, or it will only last another thousand mile. its not an easy job with the engine out, i cant imagine with it in

Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 PM
4th Gear Member

While you are at it, replace the plastic L shaped water pipe under the Throttle body.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:53 PM

Sounds like you and I are having the same issue here. If I have anything cracked on mine, I'm gonna cut my losses and plant a pretty V8 in the engine bay.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Overdrive Member

I found some notes on trouble spots on these cars from Consumers Guide Automotive:

Coolant leak: Coolant loss via plastic intake manifold is corrected by installing upgraded manifold and gaskets plus new PCV kit. (1995-02)

Coolant leak: The 3.8-liter V6 may leak coolant into the engine from the intake manifold. A new gasket kit, revised throttle body nuts, and sealing compound is available. Redesigned manifolds are also available in the aftermarket. (1995-02)

Old 08-25-2010, 03:31 AM
3rd Gear Member

So i dint pressure test. 208k miles with original head gasket ima replace it while i have time even if its good right now. I know that gm coolant is notorious for "disappearing" and with no visible leaks and a high rate of intake manifold gasket failure im just going to replace it either way. So i took off all the accesories, left valve cover but i cant get the last bolt under the engine lift bracket. I'm stuck for now. Any help? Also im thinking of running my car without a thermostat. I have remote start so i dont mind letting my car warm up in the winter. Old mechanics say get rid of thermostats as soon as you get the car. New mechanics call them idiots. Any idea on what will happen if i run without it?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your fuel mapping will be off and while you drive on cold winter days you will have no heat. On a cold winter day with no thermostat you coolant temps can fall below 50 degs.
No one that works on fuel injection ts going to recommend no thermostat. They will want atleast a 160.

Quick Reply: headgasket blown on 3.8?