HEADERS HITTING FLOOR!! >:0

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default HEADERS HITTING FLOOR!! >:0

i got my headers on about a month ago and they hit the floor when i accelerate AND I CANT STAND IT ANYMORE!!!! anything i can do? i tryed to deal with it but after a month i just cant take it anymore.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Default RE: HEADERS HITTING FLOOR!! >:0

Check your engine and trans mounts. sounds to me like they may be broken and need replacement.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Run solid motor mounts and a poly trans mount and the engine won't move and it'll stop your problem

Old 09-30-2007, 09:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yea that could be possible. the thing is. there is only a few millimeters of clearance from the headers and the floorboards so i was thinking thats the problem. i dont know if a hanger would hold it down away from the floor or not? hopefully something simple like that could fix it but seeing all the things that have been wrong with the car since ive bought it, i wouldnt doubt it if it was the mounts were broken lol. but i know for a fact that its the ltheaders making the noise cuz it all started right when i put them on. i just dont have a clue how to make more clearance or hold them down away from the floor. i already had to cut some of the tranny case cuz it was sitting right on it. seeing that it was originally a v6 car that wouldnt have anythingto do with it would it? i think they were all the same underneath but im not sure

Old 09-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Ninja Administrator

just happens, pretty common with LT's. Get a louder stereo

Old 09-30-2007, 09:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

Do it the cheap way. Wrap a chain around your frame and attach it to your engine.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:56 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

just happens, pretty common with LT's. Get a louder stereo
Trouble is thatthe knock sensors can "see" the banging as knock and pull timing. You can get heat resistant rubber and wedge it betweeen the fllor and header, untill you can swap to solid mounts.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Depending on the headers you can always try heating the pipe some and bending it to get more clearance.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Ninja Administrator

I would go with JD's method. ive heard many horror stories of solid mounts being ever so slighly off and people using pry bars to force the motor into place. if you do anything get poly mounts and just buffer that pipe with something soft. You could probably find a spray on compound that is heat resistant that would at least take the "clang" out of it

Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thank you guys for all the sugestions! i love this site. ill probly end up going with the heat resistant rubber thing to wedge in there until i can get some new mounts. me and my friend were thinking about welding up a custom hanger. hopefully it works and who knows..... if it does maybe we'll become millionaires lol. but for now im deffinatly guna try the rubber thing. ill post back and tell you how the custom hanger goes. thanks guys c ya later

Quick Reply: HEADERS HITTING FLOOR!! >:0