Headers for 4th gen with standard SBC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Default Headers for 4th gen with standard SBC?

I am new to this forum game, so bear with me. Here is my situation and question for the buffs out there: I have a 1994 Camaro Z-28 with a new Dart block based Pat Musi built blown SBC 406 with AFR 210 heads. When I got the car, it had already been converted over to the old school SBC and had a set of Hooker Super Comps for headers. From what I can figure out, they are model 2231's with ceramic coat. According to Hooker, these headers are advertised for the 94 Camaro LT1. No one seems to advertise headers for this car specified "1994 Camaro with standard SBC". The Hooker headers fit the chassis with the standard SBC in it, but are real tight in some areas. I am looking to go with a set of KOOKs stainless headers and they also list a race set for the 94 Camaro with LT1, but don't specify standard SBC and I am concerned that any variation in design from the Hooker headers will cause fitment issues. I know there are many differences between the LT1 and standard SBC, but I am trying to find out if the physical location of the exhaust ports on the original factory LT1 combination would be in the same location as the old school SBC that I have in the car now. To put it another way, if one were to take measurements and plot points on a diagram, would the location of the exhaust ports and header bolt holes be the same for both engine types in this car? Is the bolt pattern the same and what are the differences between the exhaust ports on the LT1 heads vs the AFR 210 heads that I have on there now? From what I was told, the engine mount bosses and general design on the LT1 block did not change and it would make me think this would put the exhaust ports in the same physical location, provided the design of the factory LT1 heads are the same in regards to exhaust port and header bolt holes. Sorry this is so long, but I want to make sure my question is clear. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:25 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how about some pictures of the motor. let us see,,, maybe the car while your at it. lol welcome to the forum

Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 PM

I will see what I can do about the pictures. I am still learning to navigate the forum.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Actually thank you for the informative post

All headers on an LT1 are a tight fit. I don't believe the AFR 210 heads have a modified port height, if they do, it's probably less than 0.10" and shouldn't make too much of a difference. The differences between the LT1 and the other SBC's aren't in the actual dimensions of the block or the heads, they're all in mounting location for accessories and the cooling system. The block itself is the same external dimensions, as are the heads. I would say the headers should fit without any issues. Double check on the port height on your heads though.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:45 AM

Thanks. This seems to make sense, but I never saw the original LT1 in the car, so I was not too sure. One would think that there are many people out there with 4th gens with traditional small blocks and the marketing gurus would target that arena by specifying that the headers fit LT1 and Standard SBC. You did touch on one thing that I forgot to mention. The AFR 210's exhaust ports are raised .25". The engine came with Brodix Track 1's when I bought it and when Musi did the motor, we switched to the AFR's. As I mentioned before, I had the Hooker Super Comps that came with the car and was able to still use them with the AFR's even though the port height is raised .25". Things got a little tighter, but they still clear and I have solid motor mounts, so the engine does not move. Thanks again for taking the time and I am always interested in other perspectives if anyone has any. I have also gathered alot of experience with this particular set up and if anyone is looking for info, I am always willing to pass it on. Here's an old photo from when I bought it. I will get some new ones. Hope I did this right.

Attached Thumbnails Headers for 4th gen with standard SBC?-camaro1.jpg  

Last edited by blown4thgen; 08-15-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Add Photo
Old 08-15-2009, 12:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not many 4th gen cars like yours. were u at id like to see this one in person. lol. yah more pictures pplease.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Overdrive Member

I'll go peak under my hood for you and see where and what kind of clearance the headers have with the firewall. That should be the only place you would run into issues. I'll be back with you later today.

Edit: Alright, I checked it out for you. You're not going to have any issues at all on the drivers side, the passenger side should be good as well. You'll be cutting it close at the bottom of the firewall, but it should work out...

Last edited by 95slvrZ28; 08-15-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:19 PM

Thanks again...it's always good to have input from others that know what they are talking about. Here is another picture for Craby. This is what the car looks like now as the department public relations/drag car. I have some more, but I need to edit them down to size.

Attached Thumbnails Headers for 4th gen with standard SBC?-camarospd.jpg  

Last edited by blown4thgen; 08-15-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: bigger picture