head gasket, blown engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default head gasket, blown engine?

today started out to be a nice day beautiful, sunny, warm. then i get into my car and see that my low oil light is on. now before i get into this i should tell you that one day my brother checked the oil and he forgot to put the dipstick back in. so ive been in the search for one and i got a universal one at aids auto store. now as of lately he said that the oil pressure had been dropping. so today i see the low oil light come on and i buy 2 quarts cause im broke as a joke car insurance caught me off guard this month. so i buy to quarts put one in at work then get home and see the light comes on so i put the other quart in and the light goes off. this dipstick thats in there now i have no clue how far down its going. so then i get hungry and deicide ill just go to mcdonalds with the couple of quarters that i have and mcdonalds is like 2-3 miles away. i come to a stop sign and see the oil pressure drop lower then ive ever seen it before. i dont know about your cars but mine normally stays at around 60. i pull over and pop the hood and check the oil real quick and its showing oil to the top of the dipstick and i see some of it sprayed out. now like a dumbass i didnt say ok this is bad and just turn around so i keep going. i get onto the main road and get to about 45mph and there is smoke blowing everyyyywhereeee so i pull over as fast as possible and shut the car off. pop the hood smoke comes flying out i see that more oil has sprayed inside the engine and all over the place. look underneath real quick and theres already a huge puddle. ive yet to start the car back up and im afraid to try to. my mom came and picked me up and called this guy that always helps us out when we have car problems hes really good with fixing them and he thinks that it could be a valve gasket i think he said. i dont know but if the engine is blown then i am so screwed cause i have no money for a new car or even a cheap POS. do you think the engine is blown? or a gasket? either way is it really even worth fixing then. and not that this even really matters to me right now but my uncle and my mom towed it back to my house and im not sure how they towed it cause i wasnt there but the hood wont close all the way either now actually it wont close when it is closed i can still pick it up a good 2 inches.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:29 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: head gasket, blown engine?

Valve Gasket or Valve Seat or Valve Cover Gasket? Stuff like that (gaskets/Valves) i know a bit about thru my auto tech class... but i dont know enough and idfind a shop who wont rape me especially if its oil leaking.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

(not be sarcastic at all but) are you asking me or telling me? i really dont know anything about cars. but out of those 3 things you said would it be worth it to fix it? are we talking over 1000 bucks here?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 PM
4th Gear Member

ive never heard about a valve gasket, i googled it and still couldnt find anything so i think he may have said Valve Seat or something about your valve cover gasket. can u pin point where the oil is coming from (go in CSI style and find which way the oil sprayed and see where its the thickest)

Old 03-26-2008, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

well one spot the oil is coming from where you put the dipstick because the universal one that i have on there doesnt lock in and when i popped the hood you can see there was some oil on the dipstick top its hard to describe put it looks like it was shooting out of there. also i do know that i have an oil leak as it is when i first got the car it took it to get an oil change and they said it was the main seal and that it was cheap to buy just a lot in labor. also on the passenger side when i look into the engine bay that hole spot was wet hold on and ill got into paint and just draw stuff to show you where it looks like its coming from

Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 PM
4th Gear Member

I was told as long as your leaks arent leaving puddles in your drive way they arent that bad, hell this oil place up the street told me i had an oil leak on my camaro the week i got it when i got home i looked and saw a small bit of oil on my filter.. i tightened to filter and cleaned if off and it never leaked again... then i realized they never changed my filter...

Also have you looked at a junkyard for a dipstick yet?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  Picture151.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  55.1 KB
Name:  cam.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  124.7 KB

yeah the junkyards ive called up dont have any camaros or firebirds i found 1 onilne put it says 95-97 and it doesnt say anything about v8 or v6

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...p;ProdID=43543

Old 03-26-2008, 11:54 PM
4th Gear Member

wait so youve been driving with the whole tube out of your engine?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 PM
4th Gear Member

if youve been cruisin around with that hole just sitting open in your engine you could have had some compression issues since your engine is sealed up pretty darn tightly for a reason.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

that whole has been there since ive gotten the car a friend who used to have a 95 v6 took a look and found it. he pulled out the peice and said oh look this isnt even connected. ive posted that picture several times and was told it was some vaccum line. i dont know anything about cars when it comes to this stuff. of course i didnt want it there but i have no money to fix it im an 18 year old who works at a supermarket that has to pay his insurance, cell phone, clothes, food, drinks, and gas. im not saying that no one else on here is but for the most part me and my brother take car of ourselves while my mom tries to hold the house down. we're in a whole right now and not getting out anytime soon first her truck got taken because she couldnt make the payments, then the very next day my brother blew his engine to his car, we bought some cheap crap saturn and that car lasted a whole 2 days, so hes been taking my to work which is around 100 miles a day probably more. part of me hopes that this engine is blown just because this car is being quite a headache, but then again if i got another car it will just be the same thing. i dont know how some of you people have these nice cars and do all these mods to them. i dont mean to sound like a whiney ***** but im just tired of bad day after bad day.

Quick Reply: head gasket, blown engine?