Hard starting and unusual idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 12:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Hard starting and unusual idle

2000 Camaro v6 3.8 195,000 miles

Been having a hard time starting and unusual idle after putting in new spark plugs and new cat. That was the top two things that cause my car to completely not start on me.

Crazy thing is that afternoon I drove my car to Oreillys it crank right up then after I came out the store, it wouldn't turn over one bit! Sucked cause I was going to do a tuneup before she crapped out. This was before.

Here's all I've done to it:

- New Spark Plugs, Coil Packs, and Wires
- New Cat
- New Muffler
- New Fuel Filter
- Changed oil several times (did a motor flush and nothing bads happened)
- Used sea foam
- New Battery from warranty
- New MAF

Still have to change transmission fluid and coolant but both systems are working very good.

For almost 200,000 miles and $2000 bucks she's holding up good. I don't drive it like a racecar cause she is my reliability

Anyways to the main point, after doing all this I guess the main problems came up. After changing the cat she turned over! Misfired like hell though and would die if I didn't gas it. Brought it back from my friends (He's a mechanic), and killed myself getting the spark plugs out of this engine. The engines under the dash! WTF! To let you know this is my first car.

After finally getting the plugs out and giving a viking yell of victory, I put the new ones in. Being smart, I inspected the old ones. Noticed that all my left side plugs were kinda wet. I thought it was oil and my valve cover gasket was leaking. I think its something else now.

New spark plugs and coil packs were the main issue. Now she runs alot better but still the hard start. I did a vaccum test with cigar smoke through the brake booster. No leaks as far as I could tell. I did that before spending $119 on the MAF. Didnt freaking test the MAF first. Was upset cause it didnt make a difference really.

I did get it scanned and came back Bank 1 and 2 too lean. Maybe I do have a vaccum leak idk.im thinking its fuel injection leak on the left side cause the spark plugs.

The idle has a little vibrational pause compared to the rehular idle before in it. Not a huge vibration. Just enough to notice it inside and outside the car near the muffler and engine. I have no a IAC but maube it has to do with it being tok lean.

Amy other ideas or tips would be helpful

Old 05-29-2017, 05:04 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

double check your plug wires and make sure they are in the right places. easy to get em crossed. check the 02 sensors for fouling.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
double check your plug wires and make sure they are in the right places. easy to get em crossed. check the 02 sensors for fouling.
Yeah firing orders correct . I used the one in the attachment. Called Autozone for clarification was the same.

Guess I'll buy a multimeter and check the o2s.

Attached Thumbnails Hard starting and unusual idle-6cf0724.gif  
Old 05-29-2017, 11:22 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

may want to have your injectors cleaned and flow tested. misfire is odd, maybe check wires and connectors going to coil pack, crank and cam sensors.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
may want to have your injectors cleaned and flow tested. misfire is odd, maybe check wires and connectors going to coil pack, crank and cam sensors.
Where's the crank and cam locations?

Old 05-29-2017, 01:33 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

crank is at the harmonic balancer, cam is to the passenger side and just below the water pump.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I took a pic of what I believe is the balancer. Is circled. I have to take it off to get to the crankshaft?

Attached Thumbnails Hard starting and unusual idle-20170601_202647.jpg  
Old 06-01-2017, 09:25 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes it is, have you downloaded a manual yet. brb

Old 06-01-2017, 09:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

go here and download your year or year closest to yours. https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Old 06-09-2017, 03:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Put on a new crankshaft sensor and starter. Still hard to start. My starter had no shims and put 2 on. Got better but then went back the same . Tried 1, 2, and 3 shims...

Quick Reply: Hard starting and unusual idle