ground wire smoking hot and motor wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Exclamation ground wire smoking hot and motor wont turn over

iv looked through other threads but could find any as to my problem so maybe someone can help...... car starts great cold, but after it gets hot i have to turn the key a couple of times back and forth and between the run and start positions to get the motor to crank. This has been going on for a while but does not happen every time. Yesterday though for the first time i just got home from my hr drive home car ran great whole way. i was home maybe 10 min and went out to start it and it wouldnt turn over so i tried the usual 2 maybe 3 times (never holding the ignition on more then a second because it makes a klink sound and i know it wont turn over if it does that) when smoke began to pour out from under my hood. when i looked see what the cause was i found the ground wire from the block smoking and white ish with color and skin melting hot to the touch. once the car cooled down for a few hours (cold to the touch again) it started right up no problem. its a 94 3.4 with some mods thanks for your help..

Old 09-21-2011, 07:15 PM
4th Gear Member

remove starter and have it checked.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Most likely a bad starter is drawing too much juice, It is also showing you a weakness in a bad battery cable. Cable might have been fine for a year or two more but the bad starter pushed it beyond it limits. Like torgue said get the starter check but replace that cable either way that test comes out.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:02 PM

ill try that i wasnt sure weather it would be that or not with the ground wire getting so hot, so thanks guys

Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by emptysmile005
ill try that i wasnt sure weather it would be that or not with the ground wire getting so hot, so thanks guys

I bought an 89 for a project. before I began, it would start but the starter would be slow and then catch and it would start the car.

I tore down the vehicle, rebuilt the engine along with doing much more than that. I totally forgot about the starter when I put it all back together. So, I now have headers and an aftermarket y pipe, hop in the car for the first start and ugghhh, the starter is now not even close to being able to turn the rebuilt engine. All it did was heat up my wires.

Luckily I was able to drop the starter without removing the y pipe but yes, my new wires got very hot because my rebuilt engine actually had compression and the starter wasn't up to the task.

moral of the story- when restoring a vehicle be sure to make a list of everything that must be replaced so you don't forget and have a brain fart

err sorry - get your starter checked but it's probably bad

Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 PM

i rebuilt the motor too i didnt think i bumped up the compression that much that it would give the starter a hard time but it just may have im taking the starter out to the shop now to have it checked does anyone know if there is a better starter out there for the 3.4 all i find a o.e.m replacements

Old 09-26-2011, 11:56 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by emptysmile005
i rebuilt the motor too i didnt think i bumped up the compression that much that it would give the starter a hard time but it just may have im taking the starter out to the shop now to have it checked does anyone know if there is a better starter out there for the 3.4 all i find a o.e.m replacements
oem is fine

it's not that you bumped the compression, it's that the old starter was adequate to deal with the compression leak from the rings and valves. Once it got tightened with new rings and valve seats, the starter was no longer up to the task.