Govenor

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Govenor

Z28s that didn't come with Z rated tires are limited at 110.
Z28s that did are limited at 155 (I believe).
pcmforless is the way to go for ecm.

/thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:32 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Even Camaros with Z rated tires had a speed limiter... they have to... its about 120 or something. The whole reason for it is because first off the cops cant have cars flying around at 150mph and 2nd its cheaper to use cheap low rated tires but there was a law suit because a kid went out and bought a car that was fast, and he hit top speed which the tires werent rated for, tires blew and he crashed and died... The body count effect, enough people die and they will amend something to try and change that... so they cheaped out with low rated tires and threw a limit on the speed so they couldnt get sued because they come with them from the factory no matter wat and if someone took it off they couldnt sue the maker.

wrong Z28s with Z rated tires do not have a built in limiter the litmit of the car is determined by the gearing of the car and the areo dynamics of the car btw no reason to have your limiter at 225 your never going to go that speed in any race what so ever if your gonna do a 1/2 mile drag maybe maybe mabye you hit 150 but other than that unless your on the autoban your wasteing your money

Old 05-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Ninja Administrator

im gunna go with a blanket statement. NOT all cars can hit 200+ given their limiter. You could take 90% of cars, give them 40 miles of straight flat road, and they wont hit over 200mph.

i dont know the specifics of fbodies for this, but from my mustang years, the limiter was dependant on tire package. some had a limiter, also had crappy tires. some had no limiter at all. my car, has NO limiter fromt he factory. it is drag limited

Old 05-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Overdrive Member

Wow, I'm going to smack some of you people...[>:]

Spartan: You're posting loads of misinformation, if you don't know what you're talking about 99.9%, just don't post...Z28's that came with S rated tires (yes, they did exist) from the years of 1993-1995 were governed at 108 MPH, just under the 112 MPH rating for S tires. In 1996 T rated tires became standard and then cars were governed at 115 MPH if they didn't come with the Z rated tired (the Z rated RPO code was a $255 package). Cars that came with Z rated tires are NOT speed limited, they are limited by the gearing to how fast they can go, there is no electronic mechanism that retards timing to limit speed as it did on the governed cars. Now, Spartan, how do you figure that any car can hit 255 MPH?! First off most cars are not aerodynamic enough to get there and hardly any cars have the power to get there. The wind resistance at that speed is huge, wind resistance isn't based on a linear scale (i.e. you need 100 HP to hit 150, 200 HP isn't going to get you to 300, 200 will get you to 170 **note: these are not actual figures, but you get the point). Now, technically Z rated tires are actually 149+ MPH, W and Y ratings only exist for extreme high performance situations.

To the OP: check out www.pcmforless.com they do mail order tuning, I would recommend them or a full dyno tune to remove the limiter. You're not going to get hardly any HP from a handheld, and $300 is a lot of money for removing a speed limiter.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Ninja Administrator

thats what i was trying to say [>:]
but its my boozin night [&:]

Old 05-23-2008, 12:26 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

Wow, I'm going to smack some of you people...[>:]

Spartan: You're posting loads of misinformation

Now, technically Z rated tires are actually 149+ MPH, W and Y ratings only exist for extreme high performance situations.

sweet beans

Old 05-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Overdrive Member

*sigh* [&:]

A Z rated tire is usually rated as follows: '275/45/ZR17', if it is a W or Y rated tire it will read something along the lines of '275/45/ZR17 (99Y)'. Notice the 'Z' still in the tires rating. Z rated is for anything that is in excess of 149 mph, W and Y are just to specify the tire is guaranteed to the W or Y rating. Parentheses in the W or Y rating signify that it is certified "in excess of" that speed rating.

As far as misinformation goes:
Camaro's with Z rated tires governed at "120 or so" because they "have to" because "the cops cant have cars flying around at 150mph and 2nd its cheaper to use cheap low rated tires"
"Well 255mph can be achieved by almost any car if the limiter is set that high"
"go to hptuners.com" (HPtuners is a program for tuning the LS1, you're thinking www.pcmforless.com)
"Yes they did come with one from the factory... .. i just explained why..."

I think my work here is done

Old 05-23-2008, 01:24 AM
4th Gear Member

A Z rated tire is usually rated as follows: '275/45/ZR17', if it is a W or Y rated tire it will read something along the lines of '275/45/ZR17 (99Y)'. Notice the 'Z' still in the tires rating. Z rated is for anything that is in excess of 149 mph, W and Y are just to specify the tire is guaranteed to the W or Y rating. Parentheses in the W or Y rating signify that it is certified "in excess of" that speed rating.

Camaro's with Z rated tires governed at "120 or so" because they "have to" because "the cops cant have cars flying around at 150mph and 2nd its cheaper to use cheap low rated tires"
"go to hptuners.com" (HPtuners is a program for tuning the LS1, you're thinking www.pcmforless.com)

im sorry. your god. i worship you.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I hope I wasn't misunderstood, I meant the limiter was moved up to 255mph from 108 (or whatever it was at). The tuner had to move it because it was getting in the way, and the pull to 5800 rpm in 4th gear reached (read) 141mph. The only time I'll get past 100 will hopefully be at the track.

To the OP, I got a dyno tune because I had a few mods that needed tuning and since you got mods too...well?The tune was great, I gained about 20 hp and tq in someparts of the rev range from the tune alone!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:55 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

im sorry. your god. i worship you.

You don't have to be a smartass just because I call you out. Instead of making sarcastic comments that make you look immature, you could try reading, absorbing information and learning so in the future, you can post correct information the first time so nobody will have to correct you.