Govenor

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:23 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Govenor

thats cool dude, def. get those sheets up man!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:29 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Street_Racer

what the best way to take the govenor off a camaro Z28 and how much would it cost?
Anyway OP, the best way to get it tuned out of the computer or set for higher speeds. Best suggestion would be to first off get Z rated tires 2nd wait til you have a few performance mods THEN either go to pcmforless (i believe runner went there and had only good comments about them) or get it dynotuned. That way you can, not only get your computer tuned to maximize your mods, but you can have them tune the limiter.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

lol my car isnt stock it has bolts on rear end work and other goodies here and there but nothing major i already have ZR rated tires on it so yea and NO the Z28s did not come with a govenor from the factory that had Z rated tires i topped my old camaro out and it was WAY past 120inless someone took it off before but iseen tons ofvid of camaros topping out and how much would one of these hand programmers cost me i not looking to spend 400bucks nowi just want a simple way to get it off i hate the fact that im limited to what i can do in my own car...

Old 05-22-2008, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

$300-$400 for an lt1. Ya your right the only Z28s that had speed limitors were the ones that didn't come with z rated tires from the factory. Programmers/Tuners are well worth the money especially if your all about performance. They are important because you can adjust your air/fuel ratio so that your car will run it's best whichbasically removes all restrictions that the government wants on your vehicle. These restrictions just shorten the life of your engine because they hold it back not letting it run it's best. A well tuned engine will get better gas mileage along with more horsepower essentially. With programmers you can raise your speed limiter, raise your rev limiter, you can even adjust your shift points if you have an auto. so that it won't shift until have have surpassed the torque band for that particular gear. Most importantly you have to know how to use it because I know a guy that really f...ed his car by messing with the fuel injection. Your able to save the factory settings of the car in the programmer before changing them just in case you screw some stuffup you can just put it back to stock specs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYPER...spagenameZWDVW

Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Just because you havent hit it doesnt mean your car DOESNT have a limit and like you said someone may have taken it off.

As for the tuner, idk if you havent had a dynotune id look into that especially if your car isnt stock but while they are in there they can take ur limiter off or tweak it..

Old 05-22-2008, 09:31 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: purpl96

$300-$400 for an lt1. Ya your right the only Z28s that had speed limitors were the ones that didn't come with z rated tires from the factory. Programmers/Tuners are well worth the money especially if your all about performance. They are important because you can adjust your air/fuel ratio so that your car will run it's best whichbasically removes all restrictions that the government wants on your vehicle. These restrictions just shorten the life of your engine because they hold it back not letting it run it's best. A well tuned engine will get better gas mileage along with more horsepower essentially. With programmers you can raise your speed limiter, raise your rev limiter, you can even adjust your shift points if you have an auto. so that it won't shift until have have surpassed the torque band for that particular gear. Most importantly you have to know how to use it because I know a guy that really f...ed his car by messing with the fuel injection. Your able to save the factory settings of the car in the programmer before changing them just in case you screw some stuffup you can just put it back to stock specs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYPER...spagenameZWDVW
programmers are expensive paperweights dude... anyone and everyone here will tell you that...pcmforless or dynotune is your only best option.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

So your saying programmers are a thing of the past, therefore obsolete? I'm not familiar with hptuners. Do they make one for the lt1? I know there are a lot of brands out there that make tuners but very few companies makeonefor an lt1, which frustrates me a lot. I'd buy a Diablo in a heartbeat if they made one for lt1's.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Overdrive Member

yeah hypertech isnt that great and you can mess your computer up if you dont know what youre doing

Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

ive never heard of a z being limited to 110. my tahoe can do that.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deltav

LOL! Nice!

Anyways, I got my car dyno tuned last week but the tuner didn't take off the governor, he set it at 255mph! Which reminds me, I want to post up my dyno sheet...
255 MPH IS the speed limiter setting from teh factory withthe F-bods that got the Z-rated tires.

Really.

No speed limiter is...well, misleading, but it's close.