Govenor

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Govenor

what the best way to take the govenor off a camaro Z28 and how much would it cost?

Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Govenor

Z28's should not have a speed limiter (governer).

Old 05-22-2008, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah they do. It cuts out at about 110, im not really sure id just take it to a shop, i never had to worry about it because mine already had it done.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:58 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattz28red

yeah they do. It cuts out at about 110, im not really sure id just take it to a shop, i never had to worry about it because mine already had it done.
Only way it has a speed limiters is it did not have speed rated tires from the factory (z-rated).

Old 05-22-2008, 10:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yes my new camaro came with S rated tires but it has Nittro ZR on it now but it limited at 110 and i took the cluster out of the old one so i can have the 150 speedo on my new one but i got to take this thing off so yea er=/ so how much you think it would cost would it be alot because dont they got to reprogram the ECM to get rid of it

Old 05-22-2008, 10:43 AM
4th Gear Member

Well now you know why it has a speed limiter. Cost of a retune for the ECM depends on where you live or buy a hand programer and do it your self. A side note: first time i heard of Z28 with "S" rated tires from the factory. Are you sure it is a Z28???

Old 05-22-2008, 01:55 PM
4th Gear Member

get it tuned at a dynotuner. That way you can work your whole computer and see the changes as you go.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:02 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Even Camaros with Z rated tires had a speed limiter... they have to... its about 120 or something. The whole reason for it is because first off the cops cant have cars flying around at 150mph and 2nd its cheaper to use cheap low rated tires but there was a law suit because a kid went out and bought a car that was fast, and he hit top speed which the tires werent rated for, tires blew and he crashed and died... The body count effect, enough people die and they will amend something to try and change that... so they cheaped out with low rated tires and threw a limit on the speed so they couldnt get sued because they come with them from the factory no matter wat and if someone took it off they couldnt sue the maker.
Where did you find these words of wisdon???? [sm=chattypair.gif][sm=chattypair.gif]

Old 05-22-2008, 03:58 PM
4th Gear Member

Companies only change their products if there something wrong with it. they learned that they were liable for not limiting the speed and didnt want to pay for all their cars to have high speed rated tires. Its kind of a no brainer. They want to save money so they throw cheap tires on and they to save themselves from a law suit they limit the speed so you cant blow the tires and kill yourself which would and has caused law suits in the past.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Companies only change their products if there something wrong with it. they learned that they were liable for not limiting the speed and didnt want to pay for all their cars to have high speed rated tires. Its kind of a no brainer. They want to save money so they throw cheap tires on and they to save themselves from a law suit they limit the speed so you cant blow the tires and kill yourself which would and has caused law suits in the past.
LOL! Nice!

Anyways, I got my car dyno tuned last week but the tuner didn't take off the governor, he set it at 255mph! Which reminds me, I want to post up my dyno sheet...