Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Got my car back from Chevy

i cant hear it when i accelerate.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Overdrive Member

Sometimes exhaust leaks act funny. It may be the EGR valve or some other component. I would pull the EGR valve and the EGR feed and make sure everything is doing what it should. If your EGR is stuck open or has a lot of buildup in it and it's leaking it can cause studdering etc. on acceleration like you're describing.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:15 AM
4th Gear Member

where is the EGR exactly? That tube sticking out of the manifold?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 AM
Overdrive Member

There is a tube that is bolted up to the back of the passenger side manfold, that's the EGR feed. The actual EGR valve sits behind the intake manifold. If you look at the diagram on top of your radiator that has all the emissions equipment you should be able to get a general location of it. It's a bit tough to get to, but it may be your problem.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:20 AM
4th Gear Member

ok. Ill look for my hanes manual and see if i can find it in there tomorrow

Old 04-18-2008, 05:17 AM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

Does the sound increase with RPM? I sounds a lot like an exhaust leak to me. Think about checking the EGR feed, it sits on the back of that manifold.
good lord, u almost trashed ur car for an exhaust leak which takes about 60 dollars to fix.

also, what 02s are u buying that are that expensive? almost sounds like ur going for bosch widebands. dont do that. i cant remember what i paid for my 02s when i replaced them but they were pretty cheap. you dont need anything fancy here, ur car actually cannot run on the fancy ones (without some irritating leg work anyways). u should be able to get a set for $40 tops.

let us know about the 2nd opinion. id almost bet my own car that it comes back u dont need a whole new motor and radiator. they will probably charge u $50 to flush ur radiator maybe a couple hundred to put a new metal exhaust gasket in there, unless u do it urself.

hell, if it is exhaust, then screw it because ur buying headers anyways.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:22 AM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

yeah. Which would **** me off because that means i paid chevy 54 bucks to bs me 100% and not just the 80% i thought they had. Cant wait for that 2nd opinion on wednesday... hopefullyit will yield better news/the truth.
personally, i would take the estimate from the other shop, along with the bill from chevy and slap it down on their desk and demand a refund. when they refuse (which they will) cause a scene and let everyone there know what they tried to do to you. scare away a few grand worth of work from them.

i did it once at a jewelers who is known for being shady and actually cracked a diamond when it was mounted incorrectly but refused to cover it under the hefty warranty i purchased. basically the warranty was crap, so I started questioning the lady loudly enough for everyone in the store to hear about why exactly i bought the warranty if it didnt actually cover anything.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep....

Old 04-18-2008, 09:16 AM
4th Gear Member

Yeah... I know looking back i feel stupid for believing i actually needed a new engine... Although im not 100% what my engines problem im pretty sure that i dont need a new engine. On the phone the lady told me "Ok so you want the good news or the bad news" i just said i didnt care "Well good news it only cost 54 bucks not 100, bad news your engines broken, i asked the tech if there was a bandaid he could put on it but he said no it needs a new engine"... I mean.. real technical for someone who works in the service office...

As for the knock... like i said i never heard any damn knock... i mean ive always figured a knock would be more audible than a tick.. but the loudest thing under my hood is the tick.

What should i do about the lean bank 2 and MAF code that came up when both chevy and i scanned it and what can do about the misfire? How can ipinpoint the problem? Or should i just wait for the 2nd opinion to come in? Im pretty sure without a shadow of a doubt that i have a misfire but idk whats causing it.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Ninja Administrator

i doubt its O2 sensors. you would need a critical fail in your front o2 for that to happen and they are just too simple to do that unless you plugged them up by running 5:1 AFR for a few weeks.

have you checked all the simple things like fuel pressure, injectors, even a compression test? hell, maybe you blew a head gasket or something else that would be "not the end of the world" lol

Quick Reply: Got my car back from Chevy