Getting rid of the z =(

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
a new vehicle isn't going to drop your insurance rates. You are a high risk driver and thus why points have driven up the price of your liability insurance along with penalties.

I do not believe you are addressing the problem that caused the insurance to soar; it wasn't the car

If you are a young man and riding mom/dad's policy then they are probably making you get a different car but that's an entirely different story and still not addressing the root cause

signed- a Dad who kicked his daughter from his policy and she woke up real quick when she had to pay 4x the premium on her own. She has been ticket free for over 2 years and her premium is dropping slowly.
Actually it can. My mom's insurance rate dropped from having my 2006 mustang v6 on there to my 2011 genesis with an accident on my record because of safety features like side curtain and torso airbags, esc, and cause it's a new car compared to an older car

Old 10-16-2010, 07:02 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by garner
Actually it can. My mom's insurance rate dropped from having my 2006 mustang v6 on there to my 2011 genesis with an accident on my record because of safety features like side curtain and torso airbags, esc, and cause it's a new car compared to an older car

Ok, let me clear and succinct

16 year old male,new driver with 0 experience added to family policy with no points on family policy.

Ran numbers on a 2003 Nissan vs 1995 Z28, whopping difference of $30 per year.Asked them to also run a 1994 Vette and there was no difference. LIABILITY. Bear in mind that this was riding on parent's policy with all vehicles titled to us. That's why I bought and re-did the 95Z so junior could have a vehicle he would love; and I assure you that he does.

One child then ran up the moving violations as an under 21 year old, all rates went up and I mean tremendously. She would not listen so I dropped her and made her off campus housing her address and she at first got angry at dad but she is 2 years ticket free because her insurance went from $260 per month and has since dropped into the mid $100's. Dad made her pay her own auto insurance and her eyes were opened wide. LIABILITY/RISK is the driving force, not the vehicle. Yes, if I buy a Porsche I'll pay more than my other vehicles but not that much compared to young drivers with moving violations and accidents. Insurance agencies run actuarial tables and young males are HIGH RISK, regardless of vehicle.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:41 AM
3rd Gear Member

keep the camaro, put 2 sandbags in the trunk, lighten the foot on the gas, and look where your`re pointing it, and you should be okay.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well alot of my insurance is just that its a red, t-top, 2 door, V8. STI im hopin for 4 door 4 cylinder type of break?
HEMI charger sounds nice.. itd be a 5.7 AWD? cant afford the SRT unfortunatly. Thanks for the input on the 300c and im asking 6K for mine.
My insurance is high also cuz im a 18 year old boy, which won't change lol. I have got 3 tickets this year, and they are dumb ones. Running through a yellow light to late, rolling through a stop sign.. etc.
Really want an STI, but charger might be second choice
Any more input is helpful!

Old 10-17-2010, 07:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Rolling through a stop is definitely a dumb one. It would take an extra 2 seconds to come to a complete stop. Would that really kill you? It's stupid things like that don't help the insurance cause.

With three tickets in one year, you won't catch a break on anything. The STI would be classified as a sports car with my insurance company. If you want a break, go with a 4 cylinder Corolla or Accord or something, otherwise just find the car you want and don't worry about it.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

I suggest that you get something old. Like an '87 TPI Camaro and just build it. Insurance companies do not care for a car like that. My dad has a '83 Z28 and the insurance is cheap for that thing.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Nah I don't really care about insurance purposes anymore. I can afford it. BUT I do want a new car for winter is the main reason now.. So pref AWD 260HP+ or truck..lol. Who know's. Im probably going to give up the ol LT1 sound I love for a lil 2.5H Turbo car.. itll be faster i guess..

Old 10-21-2010, 11:22 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dillon5224
Nah I don't really care about insurance purposes anymore. I can afford it. .
Thomas Tusser had a quote that addresses that thought process

Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I think every man should own a truck...that way they'll stop bothering the rest of us on the weekends.

BTW...My current truck is a GMC 2500HD Sierra. Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.0L gas, K&N CAI, dual exhaust,...and superchipped. It's scary fast going straight.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Subaru's are expensive to insure. Especially if it's an STI. Not to mention that they are maintenance nightmares if you start to do work on the car. The 300c is a terrible choice insurance wise too, theft rate is what drives those up.

If you want something fast, go get a 2 stroke racing kart and scare the **** out of yourself in a parking lot, and get something sensible for a daily driver.

Heck, my 94 v6 insurance costs the same as it would for a 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue. By all means not the fastest car in the world, but still fun to drive.