it gets hot once for every cold start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012 | 09:56 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss
a thermostat has a spring in it that when the hot water is hitting it is slightly gets weaker and opens up to allow the coolant pass and circulate then when the car is off and is cooling the spring get stronger again and closes.

it sounds like maybe the gauge is bad or sender, a way to test the thermostat is to pull it out and stick it in a pot of water on the stove and heat it up. and see if it opens up at the temp its supposed to
actually thats not right, t stats use a special wax that i designed to melt and a given temp. the wax expands when it melts and forces the t stat to open, the spring is used to close the t stat when the wax starts to solidify again.

here ya go a little learning experience for ya

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 09-12-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2012 | 01:19 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

change the thermostate and bleed the air out,,, bleed the air out,,, bleed the air out

Old 09-13-2012 | 06:32 AM
3rd Gear Member

I have never heard boiling water under the hood of any car, no matter how hot it got...perhaps you are hearing the radiator cap opening, allowing coolant into the reservoir and it sounds like it is boiling? In that case, you are overheating enough to open the radiator cap, or the cap is failing. I think it's supposed to open at 16 PSI

Old 09-13-2012 | 10:25 AM
|
2nd Gear member

ya thats right "coolant into the reservoir and it sounds like it is boiling" cause that is what i am hearing from the reservoir boiling! and the cap of the reservoir should be 100% closed? mine dosent and sometimes I see evaporation density drops on the hood upon the reservoir area we see like a wet area based on evaporation!
so any way I should change the thermostat?

Old 09-13-2012 | 10:32 AM
2nd Gear member

yea, just go buy a new 160 degree or 180 degree Tstat from any autoparts store. it's an easy swap. 2 8mm bolts hold the Tstat housing onto the waterpump. then the tstat just pops out. slap the new one in and RTV the housing and seal it back up.. then fill the radiator all the way with water/coolant and keep the radiator cap off and start the engine. let it burp the air out of the system then ur good

Old 09-13-2012 | 10:33 AM
2nd Gear member

also, my overflow tank cap doesnt screw on too tight either, so some condensation and steam comes out of it. i dont think its the end of the world of anything

Old 09-13-2012 | 04:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the coolant reservour is not pressureised and you do not want it sealed completely. it needs to be able to breath. at the same time you do not want it open to the air were it will lose coolant by condensation. bleed the air out,,, have you seen this yet. https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...-system-66742/
hay androzer is everything ok in your area? sounds like crab is hitting the fan some places. stay safe.

Old 10-16-2012 | 06:34 PM
|
2nd Gear member

once I sprayed W40 lubricant on the Radiator Cap. I guess that is my problem, the cap became more sensitive. I bought new cap and every thing is ok now.
I have Question: Dose the Reservoir has hole to put extra water out? cus when I blew in the hose that connects between radiator and the Reservoir, I hear sound of boils and a water leak under the battery.

Old 10-16-2012 | 07:18 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sure sounds like a leak in the coolant reservoir.

Old 10-16-2012 | 07:44 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

The reservoir has a hole at the top of the tank, this is in case it over flows or to allow air flow for when the radiator needs to pull coolant. Thats probably where the coolant drips were coming from.

Quick Reply: it gets hot once for every cold start.