Future Camaro Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 09:28 PM
Default Future Camaro Owner

Hello, I don't own a Camaro right now, but I am thinking about getting a good looking Camaro in the future. I just have some questions about the car itself. I've already did some research on the car itself, and how it needs the extra things that another car might not need but I just feel like I am not getting the specific answers.
I am planning on using it as a daily car. I go to college and have a job that's 5 minutes away from home. I planning on buying a V6 engine one, nothing to serious. It just needs navigation and I am good.

Will I be safe when I drive in the snow with winter tires?
With all seasonal tires, will I be safe when driving in the rain, in like Summer and Spring?
I drive a minivan right now (lol right?) I have been driving it for 4 years, so I'll have to get use to driving a smaller car.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2018, 11:13 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Well the Camaro is a rear drive car so it's not going to get around as good as the front drive minivan or a front drive car of any kind. Adding a posi rear end would help a lot but if you have any big hills to deal with you better buy some chains and know how to use them. Rain shouldn't be a problem,the six bangers aren't overpowered and come with smaller tires than the Z28 or SS so unless you put big fat tires on it you should be fine.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:48 AM
4th Gear Member

Welcome, Tron, to the Club.
Adding to Y2K response, all season tires will be fine. Keep them inflated, say 32-26 PSI.
The only time you have to worry is when you speed in the rain as hydroplaning comes into affect - water does not get channeled out by the weight and tire tread.
As for snow driving, some add a couple bags of sand and place them over the rear axle.
Plus, you have a traction ability with the sand if stuck, spread some in front/rear of the tire for traction.

As with any experience, practice makes perfect.
You'll be just fine.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:14 AM
4th Gear Member

i think you need 2010 or newer for nav i just use gps myself ,if you want awd ,then go with new challenger or charger v6 ,they all come with awd,a 5 minutes ride i would find nice 2002 or 98-02 3.8l v6 low miles can be had cheap then add gps to it,

i seen one with 13k miles the other day for 6 grand ,if you live in a very snowy area dont buy a camaro ,think more along the lines of a front wheel drive car ,there not for the snow, but some drive them in it wich is not good for rust,i have had mine in the drive way on a slope got stuck on nothing,traction no mater what tire the rear ends are light , stick in snow,so no camaro in the snow ,get a toyota for that sounds like all you need ,otherwise its 2 cars,most of us have more then one car hear an store our camaro in winter , an in 6 inches of snow you dont want a rear wheel v6 camaro in the snow,so if you keepo the van for winter then store the camaro ,that is kinda how it works

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 03-01-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:37 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hay tron welcome to the forum. what year you looking at?

Old 03-03-2018, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by craby
hay tron welcome to the forum. what year you looking at?
I was looking at a 2013 Camaro. I might go older, depends on insurance price. Since I'll be 20, I think insurance will be a little high. I also live in Michigan, so there can be a good amount of snow... and potholes...

Old 03-04-2018, 09:41 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You posted in the wrong forums. This is the 4th generation forum 1993-2002. No problem just wanted to let you know.

I have lived in the north and driven Camaro most of my life (I am 52) and I love them but I almost always had a winter unit. Current one is a trailblazer, they seem to be dirt cheap right now.

Why are Camaros (all generation) bad in the snow? Its not just a Camaro thing its a sports car thing. The perfect sports car with have the weight of the car evenly distributed to all four wheels. So if you put scales under each wheel they would read the same. Camaros are not a prefect sports car but they try. For snow you want most of the weight over the drive wheels. Short wheel bases help also. When I lived in the snow belt towards lake Erie I used to like the VW's rabbits/golfs. With the right tires they never get stuck. One year I did a VW rabbit with studded snow tires and I would go out during storms just a laugh at the 4wds with all season tires getting stuck and sliding off the roads.

If you really want to drive a Camaro year round I would do two sets of tires/rims. One set studded snow tires and a set for summer. This was common practice before FWDs became common. It was so common that most tire placed sold cheap steel rims and hubcaps. Today it would be best to find used steel rims off a base model Camaro that someone upgraded on Craigs list or Facebook market place. The stock steel rims will handle the rough pounding of winter better then a fancy aluminum rim. I did drive a Monte carl for 2 winter living in the snow belt. I did the Studded snow tire thing and it did OK as long as I stayed on roads being used by other cars and not during a storm. The Monte was totaled when the four studded tires stopped me from getting into a wreck on ice only to get rear ended by Honda. People will tell you add weight to the trunk and that will help but make sure it is secure. I have seen cement bags go through back seats and destroy front seats and I have seen countless damaged quarter panels from stuff bouncing around in the trunk.

IMO Posi traction is a mix blessing. While it can keep you from getting a car stuck it can also be very difficult to keep the car straight. Parking between two cars in a lot can be nearly impossible in the right condition. Personally I like non-posi and if you practice with the park brake you can make it drive both wheels when you get stuck.

Check with your agent as rates change for areas but for me insurance for 6 cylinder Camaro was not any more then an impala or any base car of equal value.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-04-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

but more posts in this section,,, lol. i would assume 5th/6th gen camaro's do better than 4th gens, should be better designed with better traction control. like said though, not as good as some cars/trucks. i know some fella's on here that do use their 4th gen in the snow without issue, driving carefully and with the right tires.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:42 AM
4th Gear Member

yes but to drive a camaro in snow is just not logical for a 20 year old ,just make sure your ready you keep the mini van. store the camaro in winter, also plan to insure them both an pay alot to register an insure a 2013 camaro an storage fees in winter ,

this year you all got ton of snow too,that is why i had mentioned dodge charger an challenger have awd version,then you have to think about what the salt does to the car over time resale wont be good for a camaro driven in winter,or any other sports car,the police drive the charger they came out with awd on them from slipping an slideing all over ,even still on ice nothing works for traction

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 03-05-2018 at 11:50 AM.