Front suspension 98 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:00 AM
Default Front suspension 98 camaro

I need to lift the front end on a 98 base Camaro by 1 inch. No product exists that I can find. It has coil over type shocks on front. Has anyone out there done this before? Looks like I may have to fab something. Any ideas?

Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pick up a set of front springs from a v8 camaro 98-02. i moved your thread to the 4th gen general section. welcome to the forum.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Spring condition can cause sag, Any idea how your car compares to the factory riding height. Do you to to really raise it or do you need to get to back to factory spec?

What is your goal? because raising a car above the factory spec can really screw up the handling. They are designed to go down because that is what happens when they go fast but they are not really designed to go up.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Its sits at factory ride height now. The goal is to raise the front by 1 inch for tire clearance. I am aware of the possible handling effects but will deal with them if needed. Reason for tire clearance is a long story but lets just say I'll be running a old school tire and wheel set-up. I will also be raising the back 1 1/2 inches.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Xray7727
Its sits at factory ride height now. The goal is to raise the front by 1 inch for tire clearance. I am aware of the possible handling effects but will deal with them if needed. Reason for tire clearance is a long story but lets just say I'll be running a old school tire and wheel set-up. I will also be raising the back 1 1/2 inches.
This could get expensive. I think the easiest way to get the car above stock riding height my be one of the adjustable strut like KYB AGX struts. You should contact the company to make sure they can go higher then factory riding height.

I am just trying to think of where you could put a one inch spacer and I can not think of anyplace. You could try custom make a spacer to the sping mount but I am not sure it will go back together. You could try between the bearing plate and the car but I don't think the studs are long enough.

"but will deal with them if needed." By dealing with it I hope you mean I will drive slower. When you raise a car you throw off the SAI. the only way to fix it is to custom design new control arms and recalculate some of the steering geometery.

Maybe if you made a spacer to go between the Kmember and the same size spacer beteen the bearing plate and the strut. You would most likey need to conver the existing studs to bolts so you can get longer one. That would have not ill effect on the steering. You would just be raising the body.

BTW when you raise the rear your going to need an adjustable pan hard bar and a ajustable torque are so you can adjust your drive line angle. Like I said to raise the car and NOT screw it up is going to be pricey.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-12-2012 at 09:37 PM.