Front clip swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Front clip swap

I recently just bought my third 93 maro this one is my second v6 i was fixing a friends 2500 454 4x4 and saw it sitting under some trees i made an offer of $700 she took it i never asked a single question. i came back with the trailer to get it come to find out it was parked over four years ago and last may it became a flood victim. no biggy to me. i put a battery in and sprayed some starter fluid and it came alive. try that with a mustang all in all i need a new head gasket and tune up thats it. besides the mechanical situation( which i have under control) the interior is unharmed by the flood thank god for camaro seals. heres the plan i would like to do a front clip swap with a 98-02 i need to know what all i need besides the obvious. then zr1 wheels and a coat of '10 camaro synergy green paint. let me know what y'all think.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:47 PM
2nd Gear member

please dont go with that ungdoly shade of grreen

everytime i see a new camaro that color i wan to vomit

but youll need headlight mounts, headlights, radiator mount, intake(i think), theres more

Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

there is nothing wrong with that new green its the only green i like besides a mazda green and i wanted to keep it in the chevy family ya know

Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah, idk i jsut hate it because there are about 6 of them around here painted with it and there all the base camaro too, no rs or ss

Old 03-15-2011, 06:50 PM
2nd Gear member

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=63745
http://www.lt1howto.com/articles/frontendswap.htm
and then you can just google for all the parts and find the best prices. i going to do the swap soon as well so ive done some research for it

Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

theres a ss here in tn that is that green and ive seen one rs and thanks timmy the links helps ALOT

Last edited by tncatfish; 03-15-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 PM
2nd Gear member

no problem! and the dealership i work at has an ss and rs in that color. im not fond of it either but its whatever, not my car lol i prefer either a black, white, or maroon ss.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You paid $700 for a 93 flood car with blown head gaskets and you’re going to fix it? Is this some type self inflicting pain experiment? It sounds like a spur of the moment mistake.

For $1000-$1200 you could have bought a Z28 non flood car that just needed a motor. $800 for a good used motor and you have a car worth $2500. Right now you are going to have a ton of work in a car that will not be fast and will never be worth anything.

A note about Flood cars: I have known a lot of DIY guys that thought they got great deals on flood car because the water did get that high. So far it has always backfired on them. Insurance companies do not throw money away but they will total a flood in a second. Why? Cause the cost of fixing them is never worth it. There are always problems that will be linked back to the flood. Just water in the rear, if it has been sitting, there is a good chance it will need completely rebuilt. Bearing failure will occur, same thing with the tranny. Any electrical connection what was under water will corrode and even have trapped water in it. You also have mud in placed that cannot be cleaned. It is rusting your car from the inside out. FYI seals on a car are not water tight. Your vents, by government regulation, cannot seal and there are drain holes all over the car that will let water in. Cars can how ever be cleaned. Many get clean because they seem to run fine right after the flood.

The only thing of value on that car is the front clip and doors (after a good cleaning). Your best bet would be to find another Camaro that needs a front clip and doors and use your parts or just part it out. I know you don’t know me and most likely did not even finish reading this post but I am trying to help you. I am an old man, former GM master tech, 30 year Camaro lover and trust me when I say: Run away from this car, find a good well kept car that has only one thing wrong with it and fix it. They are out there you just have to look and they cost about the same as your current project. To fix this car right you would have to completely disassemble it. I mean everything. With flood in its history it will Never be worth more then $1000.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-15-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Phalen123
yeah, idk i jsut hate it because there are about 6 of them around here painted with it and there all the base camaro too, no rs or ss

In 2010 that color was only available with the base model. You could get it with the RS but not the SS package.

The brackets are the key here. There are quite a few of the little guys, make sure if it can be unbolted from the 98-02 nose then unbolt it.

Massey

Old 03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Gorn, I thank you for the insight. I went to the former owner to get more in depth about the flood issue. She show a pic to me and I was relieved. She was being an average women (much love to any ladies on the forum) but she blew this way out. The water was only up about ankle high it didn't even touch the under carriage! This is why I told the story because I knew I didn't cover my *** all the way. I'm not really looking for speed as much as I am style. My business partner want to try to twin turbo but for the price of all that I can do the z28 conversion and put a efi lsx and stomp a mud hole in the twin turbo. But like I said style their beautiful cars. Massey, everything I post man your on it! Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Front clip swap