Found my coolant leak...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Overdrive Member
Default Found my coolant leak...

Some of you know, I have had an overheating problem. Thought I fixed it, but was wrong. Just tried flushing the system and noticed that it is leaking quite a bit. About a drop or two a second. I have followed all this back to the bottom side of the water pump. My question is, is there anything around the water pump that might also be leaking coolant? Checked the ECT sensor, that is fine. Want to make sure before I replace the pump, and find out something else was leaking as well. 1997 3.8 for those who do not already know.

Thanks,

'Stan'

Old 08-24-2008, 08:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Found my coolant leak...

I don't know what kind of car you have but when my car started leaking it was because the metal connector piece that connected two of the hoses had split so you might want to check that out. I was a simple $3 fix but my engine overheated at least four times because of it.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Overdrive Member

I wrote that it is a 1997 3.8. Are you talking about the hoses running along the passenger side? I can tell the coolant is coming from under the water pump, but I will check those.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Overdrive Member

Thanks anyways guys. Hopefully it was just the water pump. I did not see anything else that could be leaking.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh, hehe, sorry. I'm not very attentive. Anyway, yeah, those are the hoses I'm talking about. If the metal piece gets hot enough it will split under the pressure.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

lower intake manifold gasket,similar same thing happened to me but in my case it was a little elbow peice behind the idler which cost me $5 at kragens (dont go to napa they wanted to sell me the whole idler for $109) my advice is to remove the idler so you could check the elbow peice and and check the intake manifold gasket please keep me posted i would love to help you

Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

here is a pic of it and i circled the leaking part
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...ngineBay7M.jpg

Old 08-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Overdrive Member

If anything I think that elbow may be leaking too. Have not filled it and checked it out yet. Where the upper and lower meet is not leaking.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

dont fill it and waste colant just take off the idele then it will be simple to tell what it is

Old 08-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Overdrive Member

Went ahead and replaced that elbow, which is a pain as it was weak and the ends broke off in the manifold and idler. Filled it up and ran it, and it is leaking from the elbow. Either it did not seat right or my spare one was bad (looked good to me). I am just going to take it in as I do not feel like messing with it right now. Whoever designed that part of the cooling system needs to be taken out back and shot.

Quick Reply: Found my coolant leak...