First winter with RWD. Tips and questions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Default First winter with RWD. Tips and questions!

I have a 1996 camaro RS 3.8 with the y87 package (limited slip rear diff and 4 disc brake). This is my first RWD car, also my first car with over 140hp. I live in kansas and drive 60 miles a day to work, and in the winter it snows a bit. I've never had any issues in the snow before with FWD, i actually used to do some snow drifting with a little group for fun.

I still feel a bit iffy about the Camaro and wanted to ask a few questions to get myself ready.

I got a set of spare rims for the back to mount some snow tires on. Will 225 50 r16's fit the stock rims ok? That seems to be a common size that I can find snow tires in.

I plan on putting sand bags in the trunk also.

My car has a 2nd gear start button. Can I just use that all the time in the snow or will I burn something up? I used to drive a stick and would never start in 2nd just to save my clutch, but I didn't know how starting in 2nd in an automatic effects the transmission/torque converter.

Also if you have any driving tips I'd appreciate it!

Old 11-10-2011, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a thread on this topic that was just posted in like a week ago. Try searching.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ok so first off since you have LSD your going to need to take it real easy when cornering. Also try to start in second gear as much as possible. Let the car push itself forward without giving it gas then slowly ease onto it. Leave lots of room in front. Try not to fully stop at lights of possible. Since you are driving such long distances and get a fair amount of snow I'd recommend a good set of winter tires. If possible get studded winter tires. It'll help for control and for movement after stopping. I've driven my Camaro for 4 winters now this one being my 5 and those are my biggest tricks I use.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear member

I hope it snows this winter so I can go sliding around a bit.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Location: Born and Raised in Ironwood Michigan (The Army sends me all over.)

I am currently stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas (where in Kansas are you), so I know what you mean about the winters here. However, I am from Upper Michigan where it is not uncommon to get 300 or more inches of snow in a winter. You said that you have done some "Snow Drifting" before for fun. Well based off that you should at least know how to control yourself if you find yourself in a squirrely situation. I learned how to drive in the snow when I was 15 by taking a beat up '88 Cutlass and sliding it all over the high school parking lot. The GIANT concrete based light posts were a motivation to stay under control.

The added rear end weight is a good idea. I second what 3800camaro says about taking it easy on the corners. I am pretty sure that studded tires are illegal in Kansas. Don't quote me on that I am not positive. Just let your vehicle ease into any acceleration on its own before you get on the gas whenever you are coming out of a standstill. If you have an engine block heater use it. PLEASE don't be one of those people who just clear of a tiny little patch on their windshield and drive off. Take the time to properly clear off any accumulated ice/snow before driving. Just remember when in doubt just slow down. It is much cheaper than a bill from the body shop.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:06 PM

Yooper z28: I'm in Leavenworth, ks, about an hour or two away from you.

I too just took my first car out into a parking lot with large islands in it and I would just drive around them. over time I got used to how to turn the front wheels to direct me and let the back end pull me through, but then again I was also pulling with the front so it was a bit different. within a couple years I would run with 3-4 cars in the same lot and sort of "drift" with them, and we would set courses and see who had the best lap times/ect. Just bored in Kansas fun lol.

I'll just have to take the camaro out to the parking lot and learn how it feels. I've been having issues in the rain but I know its got a lot to do with my thin tread hard compound tires in the back.

Thanks everyone for the tips, I think I feel a little better that some people have made it through winters in there rides

Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

okay the 2nd gear start is always activated whenever you drive if you hit it then it shuts it down. You will find yourself getting nowhere fast with it on. I leaned to control my car sliding around but if i wanted to be safe i had it off and worked my way up to speed then turned it back on for driving. I got around central illinois in one of our worst winters with a v8 better then i did in my old cavalier.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Overdrive Member

Get some seat heaters installed, as I am doing...
Automotive Seat Heaters