First time driving a stick/my new SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: First time driving a stick/my new SS

Glad to hear you're getting the hang of it. The only downside about a manual I thought, was getting stuck in stop and go traffic. [:@] Other than that they are a blast to drive!

Old 06-22-2008, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah...manual gets boring real fast in stop and go traffic. any other time it's great.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

want a real challenge? parallel park a stick on a hill with your nose facing down hill. now that's tricky

Old 06-22-2008, 01:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Reversing will be easier than first because the gear ratio is even higher than first, so let the clutch control your speed, you don't even need to touch the gas as long as you let the clutch up slowly. I just learned how to drive manual for the first time when I got my 6 speed z28. For hills I usually have my foot on the brake then let the clutch out until I can either hear or see the rpms drop a little and then I can let my foot off the brake and hold the car with the clutch. If you go slow enough with the clutch you don't even need gas, but you'll want to learn how to give it enough gas and let off the clutch enough so you can start quicker or else people will get annoyed at you, as I found out lol.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:09 AM

After a couple weeks of driving it you should have no problems and shouldnt really ever stall your car out again. But on hills I don't ever use my brake,just after you let off the brake get on your clutch quick and get it to the point where your car isn't rolling back the give it enough gas so your car doesnt stall when you let off the clutch. And just take your time reversing, it will come to you very soon.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:16 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: jamesjunk

My trick for hills is not great for a clutch, but it helped me. I would keep a little pressure on the gas and keep the clutch engages just enough to keep it from moving then when the light turns green give a bit more gass a bit less clutch and off you go.
Uhh that's not good for the clutch at all.

Regardless, he's getting lots of helpful info on here