First post.. with a question...

Old 04-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Default First post.. with a question...

Just joined tonight ... I found a great 02 SS in October here in Canada and I’m getting it ready for spring. It’s a Sebring Silver convertible, 6 speed manual. Previously I bought a brand new black t top six speed 02 SS back in 2002 but it got tangled up in a divorce. Fifteen years later, I’m back again. I love the one I found .. low mileage, no winters and owned by a doctor...no mods and if I got the charts right, it’s one of 78 Sebring Silver six speed convertibles in 2002. If that was for the US, then there aren’t many here in Ontario.

Here’s the questions... I just got a copy of the dealer invoice from GM Heritage and it doesn’t show a separate charge for the Hurst (BBS) but does show a $440 charge for the MM6 six speed manual. I thought the Hurst shifter was an option and the six speed was a no-charge option. Plus it has a factory block heater (still coiled up) but doesn’t show that as an option. Doesn’t anyone know if it is part of the Z49 Canadian base equipment? And it shows traction control NW9 traction control as a $610 option. I thought it was standard. Any help with these questions would be appreciated !
By the way, they were expensive here.. this one had a MSRP of $47,675... taxes brought that to nearly $54,000.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member
Thumbs up

I can't help but welcome to the site, I do know Sebring Silver is a fairly rare color though.
Sounds like a really nice car,congrats.Might be a rare set of options dealer ordered. We'd love to see some pictures if you can.
I have an '01 SS M-6 in Pewter with a black hardtop and have found it to be quite rare, the colors are pretty common but there were very few SS hardtops made. Most are T-tops and many are ragtops but very few hardtops in any color from any year 4th gen SS. I looked up some numbers once and there were only a little over 500 SS hardtops in '01,how many with an M-6 in pewter and black with leather seats and chrome 10 spokes I don't know but not many, might be one of one.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Mike McGuire
I just got a copy of the dealer invoice from GM Heritage and it doesn’t show a separate charge for the Hurst (BBS) but does show a $440 charge for the MM6 six speed manual. I thought the Hurst shifter was an option and the six speed was a no-charge option.
The 2002 Chevrolet Product Guide shows the MN6 transmission with "skip shift" feature as a no cost option. The BBS Hurst Shifter option required the MN6 transmission. The Camaro White Book list this as a $325 option. If I had to guess, the cost shown on your invoice is for the shifter.

it has a factory block heater (still coiled up) but doesn’t show that as an option. Doesn’t anyone know if it is part of the Z49 Canadian base equipment?
The Product Guide doesn't mention anything about the block heater. Could it possibly be a dealer installed option?

it shows traction control NW9 traction control as a $610 option. I thought it was standard.
The NW9 Traction Control was optional, only 19,865 cars that year were equipped with it. On the invoice for my 2002, the traction control was shown as a $450 option. Are the prices shown on your invoice in Canadian values?

Last edited by peterpar; 04-14-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:17 PM

Block heater was a $20 option. Mine sure looks stock.. silver insulation matches other silver insulation in other places exactly. Maybe everybody in Canada got one as base equipment...my 2017 GMC Terrain has ons n/c standard.

Yes the prices on the invoice are $Canadian...they were really expensive cars up here !!

Thanks for the other info !

Old 04-15-2018, 12:00 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf SS
Block heater was a $20 option. Mine sure looks stock.. silver insulation matches other silver insulation in other places exactly.
Look at the RPO sticker on the driver door for K05. That is the RPO for a engine block heater according to the 2002 service manual. If it's there, that should verify it came from the factory.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:34 AM

Bingo. It’s there. But not on the invoice. That’s odd. Thanks !

Old 04-15-2018, 12:46 AM
2nd Gear member

I don't have any information on Canadian packages offered, but again if I had to guess, it could very possibly been part of one.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:32 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Item like that could be considered standard in areas with temp that fall below a certain point. Seems logical that if you are selling car in a place that constantly sees below -20 degs f and you know your car will not start there that a heater would be standard equipment.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:56 PM
4th Gear Member

that was us money for the 2002 ss in the us was like average msrp 25,000 to 27.000 us ,funny thing is the covertable v6 3800 could cost more then base z28 at like $22.800 for the z28 an $24.800 for the loaded covertable v6,now the covertable values have gone down an the hard tops cost more ,seen a 1999 a pewter 1- 66 z28 ss hard top 6 speed was not a bc4 car on ebay selling the other day was a deal ,very rare car like 10k miles 15k sold for was not bad

average was $2000.00 for $4000.00 more for the covertable tops an as much as 7k with options us ,now its the opposite for a hard top ,i told the guy to hold out for 20k but he must have made something on the rare car,next 10 years the 4th gens will hold value better ,some think we are already there ,giveing them alot more value ,though supply an demand makes prices go way up there in canada an certain places hear too ,other places where there are alot of them prices are low

Some options seem weird on the cars

like the new sting ray vette in china goes for like $100.000 + an they pay for them i know a guy all he does is ship cars over seas where there value triples for american cars ,not a guy i want to buy from though

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-15-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:40 PM

Sometimes things just don’t make sense. Depends what buyers are out there. I’m not too worried about what is happening in the market... just that I love this vehicle and market dynamics aren’t important. These are great cars !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First post.. with a question...