First Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

will this fit a v6? and is this better than the slp lids?

Last edited by masonhoban; 12-09-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

any1 else have an opinion?
i just bought the slp cai kit and am gonna get a slp blackwing filter too

Old 12-11-2009, 08:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

Just modify the stock air lid for now, until you come into more cash. You can remove the baffles inside the air lid. I have an 02 v6, and the first thing I did was a SLP CAI. You won't notice much with it, perhaps slightly quicker to get up and going but no big difference from just the CAI. Look into a catback system, Magnaflow is great for the price. I have a Magnaflow catback on mine as well, costed about $450 shipped. This gave me a much more noticable increase in response than the CAI, and it sounds pretty nice sixer.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
Just modify the stock air lid for now, until you come into more cash. You can remove the baffles inside the air lid. I have an 02 v6, and the first thing I did was a SLP CAI. You won't notice much with it, perhaps slightly quicker to get up and going but no big difference from just the CAI. Look into a catback system, Magnaflow is great for the price. I have a Magnaflow catback on mine as well, costed about $450 shipped. This gave me a much more noticable increase in response than the CAI, and it sounds pretty nice sixer.
how do u modify the stock lid?
and i was gonna get that same $450 magnaflow kit in a few weeks

Old 12-12-2009, 12:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

Remove the air lid and look inside it you will see these thin strips of plastic running through it, the baffles. Take a Dremel with a cutting disc and cut down all the strips, then take a sanding attachment and sand them down more until everything is smooth.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
Remove the air lid and look inside it you will see these thin strips of plastic running through it, the baffles. Take a Dremel with a cutting disc and cut down all the strips, then take a sanding attachment and sand them down more until everything is smooth.
what are the benefits and risks of doing this?

Old 12-13-2009, 12:01 AM
4th Gear Member

Catback exhaust first. Doing an intake scoop will do nothing with your massively restrictive exhaust. I would get a whisper lid before I got a scoop as well. Because the stock lid, even shaved and sanded smooth, doesn't even compare to a whisper lid.

Btw, the baffles on the inside of the lid snap off with pliers... Snap off, sand smooth, rinse with water, let dry... Done. Benefits is a better flowing intake. Risk... Well nothing.

And then, before doing an intake scoop, I'd still get headers first lol. Pacesetters are cheap and work very well. Intake scoops are only good for once you get your "pump" (your engine is essentially a massive air pump) flowing much better than it is. By doing what I suggested, you will achieve that.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by evilkal
Catback exhaust first. Doing an intake scoop will do nothing with your massively restrictive exhaust. I would get a whisper lid before I got a scoop as well. Because the stock lid, even shaved and sanded smooth, doesn't even compare to a whisper lid.

Btw, the baffles on the inside of the lid snap off with pliers... Snap off, sand smooth, rinse with water, let dry... Done. Benefits is a better flowing intake. Risk... Well nothing.

And then, before doing an intake scoop, I'd still get headers first lol. Pacesetters are cheap and work very well. Intake scoops are only good for once you get your "pump" (your engine is essentially a massive air pump) flowing much better than it is. By doing what I suggested, you will achieve that.
thanks for the info, ive looked everywhere for the whisper lid but cant find a site where they sell them, the link that was posted has no buy button and when i searched on the site couldnt find it, also if it is for an ls1 it wont fit my car will it?

Old 12-13-2009, 03:32 AM
4th Gear Member

They aren't in production anymore and the only way you'll get one is to buy it used from another person.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

A completely done intake, headers, y-pipe & cat back make the engine feel so much smoother when you get into it as it is inhaling & exhaling much more freely. The sounds are a nice side effect too!!