First 4th Gen, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Default First 4th Gen, ideas?

So i am new to the forum but plan on staying here for quite some time. I recent purchased a 99 Camaro 3.8 5 speed. Im tossing in a new clutch and rear main seal this weekend.

I got it at an extremely reasonable price and I would like to do a few things to improve performance. With that being said, i read some threads regarding the swaps and quickly realized that this was unrealistic. It can be done but doesn't make sense to put that much money into something that I can buy outright.

I am looking for advice to see what I can do to this car to improve total performance of the car without actually trying to go to a bigger engine. I do have a spare 3.8 for the car, and I am open to all suggestions. I enjoy the fuel economy the car has and I don't want to sacrifice too much of that. I know that kind of seems redundant to ask for more power without sacrificing the MPG.

I know basic bolt on stuff, but would anyone recommend a bore? Turbo? Suck it up and buy something bigger? It would be nice to own this american muscle car and have a little oomph when i have the itch to go fast "ricky bobby" style. Thanks in advance for all advice and suggestions.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:18 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 07-24-2013, 01:23 PM

Oh wow, I didn't look at that. That has some really good information on it.

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 PM

I just recently got a 98 V6 myself and so far loving it.
Have you looked into the Tom Henry RS Camaro project? It's essentially trying to take a 4th Gen V6 and make it similar in performance to a 5th Gen V6.

Once I get some modding money, that's what I plan on doing.

- Tom Henry RS V6 Camaro Project

Turbo is an option but a very pricy and difficult one from what I have read so far. There really isn't any room for it in the Camaro's engine bay so there would be ALOT of custom fabrication involved. Doable but not for the fain of heart.

BTW what kind of MPG are you seeing? I got a automatic and with mostly city driving, some highway, never really gunning it on a regular basis, I only get like 14-16 MPG. Which seems way low compared to others here. Granted it's got 126,000 miles on it with who knows what kind of maintenance having been done and I haven't got around to giving it a complete top to bottom service yet. Should get to it this weekend. Maybe that will improve things.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nickel Plated

BTW what kind of MPG are you seeing? I got a automatic and with mostly city driving, some highway, never really gunning it on a regular basis, I only get like 14-16 MPG. Which seems way low compared to others here. Granted it's got 126,000 miles on it with who knows what kind of maintenance having been done and I haven't got around to giving it a complete top to bottom service yet. Should get to it this weekend. Maybe that will improve things.

I apologize for the such late repsonse, I have been steadily working and traveling. I just posted up an update to what i have done on my car since my last post. I am currently seeing about 25mpg on average, i drive 70miles each way to work and at best i am getting 27mpg. I also have some other issues to fix with may or may not increase that, but i think that is what it is supposed to have. I also have about 173xxx miles on it, i don't think the mileage is an issue. My car did have the factory fuel filter on there, i replaced that and it was pouring out some almost black fuel, and that helped out my gas mileage alot.