Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 AM
2nd Gear member

to be honest i dont know

probably the stock ones i would guess?

i wish i was good with performance stuff, im more of a detail guy

Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 AM
4th Gear Member

the stock box is restrictive

you need to smoothe the air flow and make it less restrictive. Believe it or not, what you have is a good start. But, it looks like poo poo.

You can get an Ebay CAI with a K+N filter (K+N flows better)

then, get an elbow (not ebay chrome) but like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alumi...Q5fAccessories

also, put an airfoil on your throttle body. Now you have smoothed out the airflow and increased the ability to draw in more air and also cooler air.

Whether you spend big bucks and get an SLP, or K+N or go Ebay, the difference is negligible. Your big performance gains still await you and it's not with the CAI. I notice in the photo that there is some type of nasty looking thing attached to your cylinder head.

I think they are the stock exhaust manifolds with the EGR. I may be mistaken because I didn't think anyone still ran stock exhaust manifolds on the LT1 engine because they found out that by installing long tube headers, an off road Y and good cat back that volumetric efficiency of the engine improves so much and the gains are tremendous. (of course I'm being humorous) So, just being able to inhale better is a good thing, but these LT1's in stock format can't exhale well at all.

So, please correct me if I'm wrong but those can't really be the stock exh manifolds are they?

You'll appreciate how easy it is to do plugs and wires with long tubes

And frankly, a good exhaust sytem, a CAI and tuned for 91 or 93 octane and these LT1's are quite impressive. I love the low end torque of these engines.

Last edited by torque_is_good; 08-05-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Phalen123
to be honest i dont know

probably the stock ones i would guess?

i wish i was good with performance stuff, im more of a detail guy
you are just fine with the stock injectors. You don't need to visit that until you get into changing cams and porting the heads or using nitrous or forced induction.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

my stock lt1 reacted well to 30 lb injectors with a 52mm tb. thing is the new accel 30 lb injectors were only flowing at 26-28.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear member

those are the stock exhaust i think??
i want to get long tubes etc. but im tight on money as im just a kid

idk much about the cars internals im getting everything checked soon though

and this is why...

today i was messin with intake thinking of what to do with it and my dad decided to essentially tear it off thinking he knew what he was doing and sprayed MAF cleaner into the actually intake manifold while the engine was running

so now when its idling and you push the gas ...the engine dies

im so angry right now i cant even describe it

Old 08-06-2010, 08:16 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Phalen123
those are the stock exhaust i think??
i want to get long tubes etc. but im tight on money as im just a kid

idk much about the cars internals im getting everything checked soon though

and this is why...

today i was messin with intake thinking of what to do with it and my dad decided to essentially tear it off thinking he knew what he was doing and sprayed MAF cleaner into the actually intake manifold while the engine was running

so now when its idling and you push the gas ...the engine dies

im so angry right now i cant even describe it

it will be fine

I can assure you that if dad caused any real harm he feels like a POS

give him a hug because the guy does love you and the car should bring you together, not apart.

About the CAI, remove the filter and see if it's dirty. If it can be cleaned, then do that. If it can't, bring it with you to Autozone or ADV auto etc and get a K+N that is the approx same size

Minimal cash you say

WalMart- qty 2 gallons of antifreeze (not pre-mix) and drain your coolant and really flush out the system using a garden hose. Let it run and the thermostat open and run it with staright water for another minute. THen, when it's a little cooler, drain out the water and do it again. THen close her up and mix the coolant and add

change your oil

either the $16.99 adv auto Castrol and filter special or again WalMart is your friend

next, go the the local parts store and get some different size rubber tubes. You'd be surprised how many of your vacuum lines are cracked and questionable. The tubing should cost no more than $10-$15

get a couple cans of brake cleaner. They are 2 for $5 at adv auto right now which is a great deal. When you are underneath changing the oil, wipe things down, spray off the gunk with brake cleaner so later on you can put cardboard underneath to see if you have any drips

do you have a cheap grease gun? If not, get one and lube the suspension components

remove the inspection plug from the differential and put your little pinky in there to be sure there is fluid. How does it smell and look. If you want to repalce it, which is not a bad idea, don't forget the limited slip additive

what you are doing is getting to know the engine bay and looking at little things that could become issues in the future.

So, for about $50-70 you have an all day project of climbing around your engine bay, underneath, being productive and learning as you go.

welcome to a bug whose bite never is cured. Once you are hooked on cars, you remain that way. And it gets worse. You spend more money and when you are married you will hear words like

no, where are you going to keep it? When are you going to finish the other car?
I don't care if it's a good deal or not, our house looks like a used car lot. When will I be able to park in the garage again?

and so on and so on

Old 08-06-2010, 10:15 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are you still having problems with the motor stalling on throttle up? is the map connected correctly? it may be the map was damaged becauase it was operating. i have edited this cause i screwed up. lol.

Last edited by craby; 08-06-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM
2nd Gear member

i thought the 93's were the only ones that didnt have an MAF

it has like a barometric pressure reader or something like that

also i have recently changed the oil, all brakes, ball joints, trans fluid, filter has less than 1000 miles on it, and the spark plugs

i know theres more but im forgetting

and i wasnt having trouble with the throttle up til now, well i was before but it somehow fixed itself, im suprised i never did this but i went and looked up my idle speed and my car runs at about 1100 (well before yesterday) instead of the 700 or 800 its supposed too, it just never seemed out of the ordinary to me
so thats another issue

im just gonna deep clean everything, replace all the sensors that i can and take it in to see if it previously had some ridiculous tune on it

sorry for the huge post, thank you for all the help

Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ah sorry i screwed up. yes you have a map and not a maf it may be that the map has been damaged by the cleaner, dont know if it can be or not. i edited my post.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM
2nd Gear member

no big lol

and i guess i have a lot of work to do

im really tempted to just pull the damn engine and replace all the hoses etc.

like ive got the tools, engine puller thing (name escaping me)

and ive pulled the engine on a vette and it wasnt to impossibly hard

Quick Reply: FIPK Intake