few concerns...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
yep new keys, new fluids and new battery. then see what happens.
Good plan!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Senshi09
hey everyone. Im new here and new to owning a camaro (technically not mine until 3pm) and i have a few concerns about it before i bring it home. My brother in law is giving me his 4th gen camaro (He didn't tell me what year but i know from the bdy style its a 96-99 and he told me it was the "bastard child" of the camaros because of the rear wheels were bigger that year and only that year) and told me the only thing wrong with it is it needs a new rear strut and a headlight. Thats nothing major, so whats my concern you may be wondering..

my concern at this point is he has told me it hasn't been started in over a year (he lost the ONLY key for it..

Catch 1 - got to get a new key from the chevy dealer. Thats about $50 i'd guess since to get the key made is $30-$35 get taxes charged and such, id estimate around $50-$60. Not bad..

Catch 2 - it has sat for 2 - 3 years without being driven. So the battery is dead, already have the jumper cables.. free jump.

Total investment so far-$50-$60

Which brings a lot of concerns for me right now. What should i expect to find wrong with it (motor/trans wise) since it hasn't been driven in a few years and has pretty much sat in the wonderful west virginia weather? Aside form the basic tune-up and fluid changes that i will perform on it, what else should i be on the look out for?

Thanks in advance

also you may want to consider changing your radiator hoses if the car has been sitting that long chances are they may have rotted and will bust while you are driving the car

Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Check your local locksmith for keys. Mine made me an extra ignition key and 3 door keys for $26. The ignition was a GM blank also. Local GM dealer was $35 for the ignition and $6 each for the door keys.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by hooknladder
Check your local locksmith for keys. Mine made me an extra ignition key and 3 door keys for $26. The ignition was a GM blank also. Local GM dealer was $35 for the ignition and $6 each for the door keys.
Does '96 have chips in the keys yet? Because if it does a dealer is about the only option.

Also give the brake lines a good check, another common failure with a car that's been sitting for some time.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Where specifically has the car been sitting ie garage grass driveway

Old 09-18-2011, 09:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
Where specifically has the car been sitting ie garage grass driveway
its been sitting in the elements on a hill in some gravel with random patches of grass spitting through the rocks here and there. Between a jetta and a explorer. I made a mistake when i originally posted this, its a plain 94 3.4L V6 not a 96 RS like I was told. I found out after actually holding and looking at the title.

From what i was told by a different dealer, the key has 15 chips in it supposedly. I have NOT found anything on here or online in general stating that the key has chips in it for that year. I think that the second dealer (auto choice in bellaire ohio) is just trying to extort money out of me or cost me more money by having me tow my car there first. But for whatever reason my mother-in-law decided that she was going to pay for the whole schebang so hey even it needs towed, its free to me so go for it That will save me a good $300.

The rad hoses.. hmm never would of thought of them yeah im definitely going to have to check into them.

Currently waiting for the m-i-l to get the car towed.. so im STILL waiting on my damn keys.. the sooner the better though because im definitely feeling the itch even worse and if i scratch at it anymore ill be scratching at my bone!!

I did get to see it lastnight though after hanging out with my bro-in-law. Even though it was darker then dog shyt out there and the only spec of light i had was from a bright star, I made sure to give her a hug and tell her daddys just waiting. Sucky and cheesy I know, but I LOVE camaros as much as i LOVE the 71 Cuda.

Last edited by Senshi09; 09-18-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
You can pull the fuel filter off and let the pump drain the tank there's a filter in the tank that should catch any debris
Well im a idiot and didn't do this to begin with. Tried cutting corners and now its biting me in the ***. So when you said to let the pump drain, do you mean by turning the key to the on position or actually starting the car?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My parts car sat a long time and the rotors look horrible as do the engine pulleys lots of rust. Not sure that's a show stopper but if I were to use these I would need to clean them up for sure. Not to mention the main belt is dried and cracked like the tires for that matter. Amazing what sitting will do. Mine set for several year though

Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

theres a test wire that will run the fuel pump. its on the passenger side, it comes out of the wiring harness and has a female connector. number 35 on the list here. 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech-Component Location Views you will need to jump 12 volts from the battery to that wire to run the fuel pump

Old 11-07-2011, 05:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
theres a test wire that will run the fuel pump. its on the passenger side, it comes out of the wiring harness and has a female connector. number 35 on the list here. 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech-Component Location Views you will need to jump 12 volts from the battery to that wire to run the fuel pump
How would I jump 12v from the battery to that wire without frying everything int he process? Stick a wire on the terminal (+) and the other end inside the connector?

Thanks for the link, thats gonna help me tons when im trying to figure everything out in the future

Quick Reply: few concerns...