Falling For V8 Power!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Falling For V8 Power!

Ok so here we go. Most of you know me as the v8 hater. Well I rode in a 2002 Mustang GT with 4.10 gears yesterday and I fell in love. So to anyone with a v8, who I may have bashed on, I'm truly sorry. I'm in the process of looking for a 1994-1997 lt1 with a blown head gasket or something of those lines so that I can get it cheap. I won't settle for an automatic. 6-speed will be a must. I'll use my v6 as a daily driver as I build the v8. So my question to you who are more familiar with the lt1, what are the common issues with the motor/trans? I just want to get more familiar with this platform before I commit myself to buying one. Also, what do you think I will spend on an lt1 6-speed. I don't mind a trashed interior or screwed up paint but the body should be straight with minimal dings. I can always put my mint condition interior in it and repaint it. So what do you all think. I'm waiting on darling reject to chime in and gag on me looking for that nasty v8 power lol. I'll keep the sixxer to for a daily driver. The z28 will be a weekend warrior. I would like something with under 200xxx miles. I'll rebuild the motor myself and throw in a new flywheel, centerforce dual friction clutch, and 3.73 gears. I'll use the cold air intake out of my 3.4 and run some new exhaust and headers. Planning on a full valvetrain job while the motor is out of the car. I'll gasket match the heads and intake for a little more flow too. Insight and input are appreciated.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Overdrive Member

The main issue with the LT1 is the Opti and water pump issues that are well documented around here. I would personally limit my years to 96 or 97 so you can get the OBDII computer system which will provide you with more tuning flexability and if I had to choose I would go 97 for the updated dash and the cool 30th logos on the seats... but that's me.

Here is a trick with the Opti units. Buy the Richporter New Dizzy from O'reilly. It has a lifetime warranty and comes with a cap and rotor (very important). THis will set you back about $250-$300 depending on your store. Now when it comes time to replace the cap and rotor just remove the entire unit and warranty it for another new one. New opti new cap and rotor. Now unless you want to drop about $200 for a new cap and rotor (from BWD) and have no warranty then be my guest. A brand new dizzy with cap and rotor is only about $50-$100 more than the cap and rotor alone and the warranty covers both, but you have to return both at the same time. Trust me here it is worth it to go this route.

Massey

Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Oh no not a v8. Those things are gas guzzling emission wrecking vehicles. Why would you want that? I agree with massey get a 96 or newer z28. You want the obd2 system as they are much nicer to work with. Try to find one inngood condition with a bad motor. Good luck with the hunt and post lots of pics.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm definitely looking for something in nice condition on the outside. Interior can be trashed since I have a brand new interior in the 3.4 than I can swap into it. Motor can be blown too as long as the block is good. I'm planning on a full rebuild.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:55 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

so what are you going to do with your sig?

p.s. i own two v8 vehicles. i was happier with the towing and power with my 4.3 blazer than my 6.0 silverado. i know the truck has more power, but it doesnt come in until almost 4k

Old 08-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Overdrive Member

Here is another thing to think about with your car.

1993 Unique computer, can read codes with paper clip
1994 Unique computer, need code reader to read codes
1995 Unique computer, #@#)(@* stupid thing has OBDII port and kinda sorta OBDI language.
1996-1997 Shared computer, OBDII compliant and can be scanned with ANY OBDII code reader. Also can be easily remapped by most dyno shops.

Massey

Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your going to pay a pretty penny for a 96-97 LT1 4 speed in running condition. ABout the cheapest I have seen is 4K, $3500 is it over 150K. It is hard to find them cheaper. The problem is the engine and tranny are worth almost 2K by the time you part out the rest of the car.... heck even wrecked ones can sell for 3K. Its not to offen you find the 6 speeds sold with blown headgaskets. I would guess they would still go 3ish.

I watched for a 6 speed for almost a year before finding one with a blown motor. Mine is a 93. I like it cause its the computer system I was trained on back in the 80's All I need is a paper clip a manual and a voltmeter.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 PM
2nd Gear member

I feel you on this subject. Lol. I had a 93 3.4 auto (one in sig) before I went out and bought my Trans Am a couple weeks ago. The TA is a 97 lt1 6 speed. It's got a couple problems here and there, but good lord do I love it. The Camaro has been passed down to the girl.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:15 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm getting excited

Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

if you are truly excited, there is a cherry lt1 z28 for sale down the street. shiny as factory fresh, dont know if its auto or manual though. could look if youre serious

Quick Reply: Falling For V8 Power!