Failed saftey inspection - Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Thats a good rule, there no way "slight acceleration" could subject to interpretation error. I think PA's rule about everything in good working condition leaves less room for judgment.

Slight acceleration on 450 hp LS1 vs slight acceleration on a 3.8 with 220,000 miles on it could be a little different on the same brake system.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM
2nd Gear member

Quote: from what I've read to adjust the cable I have to pull on the parking brake multiple times then release it.

Not sure what you mean by that but the procedure for adjusting the parking brake often involves setting it and releasing it several times to make sure that all the parts are free and return to the at-rest position.

Then you usually pull the handle up seeing how far it goes before you feel resistance. There *should* be no resistance for maybe an inch or two. You keep pulling until you hear/feel a certain number of clicks from the ratcheting mechanism. Three, 4, 5 are normal. If you can get more than that the cable should be adjusted.

On my 94 I can get 8 clicks (without going nuts) and that is probably too many. I'll adjust the cable before the annual safety inspection (which is due by the end of this month).

Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The parking brakes on LT1 F bodies use the same brakes the main rear brakes.
LS1's have the separate drum brake style inside the brake rotor, and are supposed to be self adjusting. If the brakes aren't holding, the adjusting mechanism might be rusty and frozen. You can manually adjust the parking brake at the wheel, but you need to remove the brakes and rotors. This would be done when a brake rotor or parking brake parts are changed, as an initial adjustment. After that, they should self adjust. There isn't an adjuster on the cable.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:29 PM

it's a parking brake, not a line-lock.

Take it someplace else.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I met the county auditor at the inspection station during their normal business hours but they were closed. No one was there. Just a sign stating they would open up later that day. The auditor I spoke too told me that the initial safety inspector was correct in stating that the brake had to hold the car in place while trying to accelerate and that he wouldn't be able to overturn their inspection. Needless to say I took it else where and it passed. The brake does have to be pulled pretty much all the way up to hold but when pulled up that high does prevent the car from moving on an incline. Maybe I'll need to service the little shoes next time I do my brakes but for now I won't have to worry about it for a year.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nouturn20
The auditor I spoke too told me that the initial safety inspector was correct in stating that the brake had to hold the car in place while trying to accelerate and that he wouldn't be able to overturn their inspection. Needless to say I took it else where and it passed. The brake does have to be pulled pretty much all the way up to hold but when pulled up that high does prevent the car from moving on an incline.
I'm curious as to whether the prior inspector did that on a incline or flat surface? Needless to say, I find that extremely irrelevant to a vehicles safety. Holding the car from rolling while off, but when it's moving? Most vehicles I know of wouldn't pass that in the slightest. Oh well. At least your golden now!