Factory keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Cool Factory keyless entry

I just bought a 95 Camaro a week ago the guy told me when he replaced the battery that the alarm and keyless entry went crazy on him so he turned it off under the dash, OK I cant even find a reference to it in a wiring diagram so I can turn it back on and see for myself whats going on and I took the bottom part of the dash off and see nothing resembling a alarm black box, could someone tell me where its located and what it looks like.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:14 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm pretty sure that a 95 could not be ordered with an alarm system. A 94 sure couldn't. The car *is* equipped with an antitheft system that uses a resistor pellet built into the ignition key. There are a bunch of different resistor pellets and a module behind the dash looks at the key resistance when you insert it and turn the key. If the resistance doesn't match the programmed value for that car the engine won't crank. No horn, no flashing lights... Just nothing...

I'd say that your 95 has an aftermarket alarm and those can be a real PITA to diagnose if the instruction manual and wiring diagram didn't come with the car. Look for a little toggle switch (AKA kill switch) under the dash that you can reach from the driver's seat. That's probably what the mechanic found.

Also, a lot of alarm systems will activate when the battery is disconnected and reconnected so there may be nothing wrong. You may just have to unlock the doors with the remote. I'm assuming that you are using a non-GM remote.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:33 AM

Please don't post unless you know what your talking about I am not looking for a bunch of opinions based on a guess, yes the 95 came with the option for an alarm, yes on the gauge panel it even has the word alarm yes its a gm remote, what I am looking for is someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes specifically to this subject not give me a class on what I already know what an alarm can and cant do .

Old 12-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by DallasShawn
Please don't post unless you know what your talking about I am not looking for a bunch of opinions based on a guess, yes the 95 came with the option for an alarm, yes on the gauge panel it even has the word alarm yes its a gm remote, what I am looking for is someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes specifically to this subject not give me a class on what I already know what an alarm can and cant do .
KINDLY DROP THE ATTITUDE NOW!! He was trying to help, and his 2nd and third paragraph is something he knows what he's talking about, if you had an aftermarket alarm. Don't come on here raking a seasoned member over the coals, just because you failed to give full information (you have a factory GM key Fob). If you don't want help of any kind, just say so! Consider this your one and only warning for following proper C.F. etiquette.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Hope this helps:

1995 Chevrolet Camaro Alarm, Remote Starter, Keyless Entry Wiring Information

I agree with Camaro 69, most people are here to help with your problem. No reason to get an attitude.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:36 AM

Actually Adam you were rite on the money, Thank you very much. it did not tell me what the box looked like but did say its in the PASSENGERS kick panel which took me rite to it, thank you.
I think you all misunderstood the attitude because there was none, I was asking a simple question about where to find the black box and what it looked like, the fact that everyone decided I was giving attitude because he gave a mini class on how an alarm works not on where I could find what I was looking for says a lot to the maturity of the people here.
a gm key fob has nothing to do with how big or what to look for to find the black box (Camaro69), instead of helping and trying to understand the situation you decided to flame me because I am a new poster TYPICAL, had you actually read my post you would see there is no information missing I asked a specific question and got an answer that was nothing to do with the question
I do thank you for attempting to answer my question 1aug I had no intention of giving you attitude I just needed an answer.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I think you all misunderstood the attitude because there was none, I was asking a simple question about where to find the black box and what it looked like, the fact that everyone decided I was giving attitude because he gave a mini class on how an alarm works not on where I could find what I was looking for says a lot to the maturity of the people here.
a gm key fob has nothing to do with how big or what to look for to find the black box (Camaro69), instead of helping and trying to understand the situation you decided to flame me because I am a new poster TYPICAL, had you actually read my post you would see there is no information missing I asked a specific question and got an answer that was nothing to do with the question
The attitude is in bold directly above. Call it what you want, but it was an insult and obviously was not meant as a compliment or a thanks anyway for someone at least trying to give you help. But then, maybe that's just how you are, and you don't see it.
A GM key fob would tell you whether you have a factory or an aftermarket alarm system, that was the point there. So yes, I did actually read your post.
You were initially asking a question, based on what "the guy" who replaced your battery told you, and the suggestion you got was for you to make sure he didn't misguide you, since you couldn't find the box that "he" switched off, even in a wiring diagram.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 AM

Once again there was no attitude meant, I wanted an answer to a direct question wich was where the black box is and what it looks like, so if you did read the post you obviously cant comprehend simple sentences you idiot, it was not the guy who replace my battery if you can read you would see that and second I didn't ask anything about how anything worked or anything to do with a key fob, if you can read you would have seen that I dint ask if anyone knew if it could or did come with a factory alarm I already knew it did cause umm I have the car and it has a factory alarm and anyone who can do a simple Google search can find out if 95 came with that option and guess what IT DID AND ITS ON MY CAR, now that you have made the entire post about you instead answering my question I have already gotten the answers I needed from Adam, you need to check your ego at the door bub cause I am betting your *** is writing checks that you cant cash.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

You're welcome.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

And were done here...
Dallas, first I will address the tude coments made to you by a mod. You came on asking a question - I got that. the answer wasnt exactly what you wanted - got that too. You replied with with a slight insult (IE- based on a guess... something about not knowing what your talking about... this all equates to: gee, thanks for nothing) - you dont see how it was an insult, which is fine, 69 called it to your attention, and boom - he is now an idiot (your words) and you feel that you were flamed, that wasnt flaming... sorry but its not... perhaps your definition of flaming is defferent tho - so no harm done. anyway, the way you responed to the first reply - even to me- looked disrespectfull. hence the 'flaming', now you know.

and

You called one of my mods an idiot. this isnt cool. we dont just pick names out of a hat when deciding on mods. There is thought involved, so when one of them is attached we tend to get .... uh... sensitive. Hence the closed thread and the warning from 69.

This dribble about 69 needing to comprehend sentances and his ego and writing of the checks... this I dont get. Totaly unnecessary. And you had the nerve to mention his maturity level? seriously?

So, you have an answer now. Perhaps more answers than you first wanted, but answers none the less. If you decide to stay with us here at CF, please do so. you are still welcome to ask questions and possibly lend advice to new members as you learn yourself and can, in turn give said advice.

If you decide to leave... thats OK too. By leaving you will ensure that you will be forgotten in a matter of days as this thread moves to the back of the list.

@ Mods. I typed this all out then noticed it was in the useless posts section. So, instead of sending a PM with all this, or starting a new thread I simply replaced it to the section it came from and will remove it when it goes to the next page. Hopefully it will be read by others and they can learn from its fail.