Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   Exhaust work (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/exhaust-work-77924/)

v64thgen 12-07-2014 11:36 AM

Here is a thought I never considered...the muffler I ordered, on recommendation from magnaflow, was their 4 inch round muffler part number 10426 I think it's about 18-20 inches long. I plan on cutting the pipe and mounting the muffler before the axle. I assume it's sturdy enough to support the weight of the muffler but I figure I should ask. The last thing I want is to have the muffler banging around because it's not secure.

Gorn 12-08-2014 08:01 PM

If I am picturing what you are saying right I think the pipe is very close to the floor where you want to put it. I think it will be strong enough but you need clearance all around the pipes and muffler. 4" muffler and 1" clearance is sure going to be hanging low. assuming you can get the hanger to drop hat far.

v64thgen 12-08-2014 10:38 PM

Ok good as long as the pipes are strong enough to hold it up I'm good. Once the muffler gets here I'll know exactly what I want to do. If it's hanging too low I'll just cut the pipe after the axle and have the muffler in the same place as the stock location. I'll post pictures once I get it done.

Camaro 69 12-09-2014 10:44 AM

I take it you're going to be dumping the muffler right before the rearend? If you don't put a hanger at the end of the muffler, or right before it, then it will bounce and bang around and fatigue the pipe till it snaps and falls off.

v64thgen 12-09-2014 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69 (Post 696965)
I take it you're going to be dumping the muffler right before the rearend? If you don't put a hanger at the end of the muffler, or right before it, then it will bounce and bang around and fatigue the pipe till it snaps and falls off.

well crap, that doesnt sound good, is there a way to mount a hanger where i need it without welding?

Camaro 69 12-09-2014 11:48 AM

Look see if there might be a rear seat belt bolt sticking through the floor, in the right place, and long enough to catch a bracket and nut. Otherwise you may have to get creative with a drill and sheet metal screw to the body.

v64thgen 12-09-2014 11:50 AM

hmmm, i found some universal hangers i guess i could make that work, the question is do i feel like it.

once it stops raining around here i'll crawl under and see what i can use

Gorn 12-09-2014 09:02 PM

Wow I was not picturing what you were doing right. You are dumping right out of the muffler on a 3.4. You should fear the rice effect. The 60 deg v6 always tended to the raspy side now you are going to add what is very similar to a fart can to it. You really want the tail pipe if possible and don't remove the Cat.

v64thgen 12-10-2014 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn (Post 696978)
Wow I was not picturing what you were doing right. You are dumping right out of the muffler on a 3.4. You should fear the rice effect. The 60 deg v6 always tended to the raspy side now you are going to add what is very similar to a fart can to it. You really want the tail pipe if possible and don't remove the Cat.

Well crap!! That doesn't sound good either. So if I understand you right the pipe after the muffler cuts down on rasp? If that is the case would it help to still put the muffler before the axle but leave the pipe that goes up and over the axle in place? And the cat will most defiantly stay in place.

torque_is_good 12-10-2014 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn (Post 696978)

hmmm, I guess when you've been to a bunch of cruise nights in South FL you either get used to, or tune out the sound of fart cans