Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   Exhaust work (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/exhaust-work-77924/)

v64thgen 12-03-2014 11:48 AM

Exhaust work

Got a crack in my muffler and need to replace it, is there anywhere you can rent an electric saw to cut through the pipe? I really don't want to take a hacksaw to it.

CountTripula 12-03-2014 06:13 PM

try home depot or lowes hardware they usually have tools you can rent

v64thgen 12-03-2014 09:47 PM

Called Home Depot they rent a reciprocating saw u just have to buy the blade. This is good news now a 30 min cutting job goes down to about 5 min.

torque_is_good 12-03-2014 09:53 PM

some tools are just worth owning. A "sawzall" is one of those tools. $25 and includes a few blades

6 Amp Heavy Duty Variable Speed Rotating Handle Reciprocating Saw

Camaro 69 12-04-2014 12:13 AM

I couldn't live without a sawzall. That one at H.F. is only $21 with your 20% off coupon. How much is the rental at Home Dopey? The small cost difference makes buying one a no-brainer.

v64thgen 12-04-2014 11:03 AM

good call, i do have a neighbor who has a saw i can use...it isnt the same as a sawzall so if it doesnt work right i think i will just buy one, because its $15 for a 4 hour rental so yeah more cost effective to just buy it.

the muffler, clamp, and sealant should be here by next saturday...the worst part about ordering parts is waiting for them to arrive

Gorn 12-05-2014 06:49 PM

Sawzall on exhaust? I have a sawzal for home remodeling. It has never been in my garage. You guys ever used angled grinders with cutoff wheel. If it takes me a minute to cut off a 2-1/2" pipe it is because I do not want to put my beer down.

4-1/2 in. 4.3 Amp Angle Grinder

Remove the guard and add some of these
4-1/2" Ultra-Thin Cutoff Wheel for Metal, Pack of 5

In shops around the country this is affectionately referred to as a death wheel. I like to think it has that name because it will kill anything. It can cut through anything short of carbide.

torque_is_good 12-06-2014 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn (Post 696875)
Sawzall on exhaust? I have a sawzal for home remodeling. It has never been in my garage. You guys ever used angled grinders with cutoff wheel. If it takes me a minute to cut off a 2-1/2" pipe it is because I do not want to put my beer down.

4-1/2 in. 4.3 Amp Angle Grinder

Remove the guard and add some of these
4-1/2" Ultra-Thin Cutoff Wheel for Metal, Pack of 5

In shops around the country this is affectionately referred to as a death wheel. I like to think it has that name because it will kill anything. It can cut through anything short of carbide.

those have their place as well, especially with motorcycle chains.

A "sawzall" yes is wonderful around the home but also good for getting that blade into a tight spot where Mr cutoff wheel just won't fit.

Gorn 12-06-2014 07:26 AM

I am more of a torch guy but when I did the muffle on my 96 I just remove the hangers let it drop down and buzzed it right off. Took longer to get the car on jack stands then it took to get the muffler off.

I am not say the sawzall with a metal blade will not work it just seems like a lot of work. I think you would have to put your beer down and use two hand with a sawzall. Who wants that?

Camaro 69 12-06-2014 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
With a sawzall, I can buzz through an exhaust pipe in about 15 seconds, without needing to drop the system. Not to mention (ok I am), sometimes you need to cut pipe before you can drop it. And, if I hold some beer in my mouth for a few seconds, I can be ready for the next swig right after the cut! lol
My cutoff wheel, that needs at least 2.5" clearance all around, isn't going to work when the pipe is close to the frame and floor. The sawzall also works great on impossibly stuck bolts such as shocks, etc., where you can cut between the mount and bushing. Try that with a cutoff wheel which has a very short reach by comparison.

Attachment 13397