Ever Famous 4th Gen V6 to Carb V8 Topic

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010 | 09:01 PM
|
Cool Ever Famous 4th Gen V6 to Carb V8 Topic

First off, hello. I am new to all of this. My first forum post ever. I do read a lot and find very informative information.

I have read the many post about swapping a v6 to a carb v8 and laughed at some of the remarks. Well, I did it as well. It can be done and it is pretty easy. Yes there is no room for the distributer, and you may have to mod for the air filter, but it can be done. I have a TH350 trans and changed the rear end. All of that was done fairly cheap.

My question is about the motor mounts. The v6 mounts are back to far and I wanted to know if there was something I can purchase instead of fabricating. I seen Vtech (sorry if I miss spell that) post and he did an awesome job fabricating some mounts. Just wanted to know if anyone makes something like that. Once I have that, I'll be done. Except for the paint. I have searched everywhere and no one seems to have an answer except saying that it has been posted somewhere... but it I can't find it.

Thanks

Old 05-15-2010 | 10:54 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What year?

I will look around there is someone that makes a tubular Kmember for the 350. Its is even better then the using the LT1 K-member. I think it sets the motor a little lower. I remember reading the web page, Its even had options like with stock rack or with manual Rack. I think it went for about $399. Also you can use an LT1 K-member I think they even share 2 of the 3 bolts. I think the fabrication is drilling a hole.

I would love to know more about the build. Fuel system, Exhaust, Trans mount. What about anti-lock brakes? Any pics?

Last edited by Gorn; 05-15-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2010 | 11:21 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

BMR Fabrication

KM005 - Tubular K-member for traditional small block Chevrolet and Bigblock Chevrolet. For use with standard F-Body power rack.KM005 - Tubular K-member for traditional small block Chevrolet and Bigblock Chevrolet. For use with standard F-Body power rack.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyChassis.htm

Old 05-16-2010 | 06:23 AM
|

Thanks Gorn. My apologies for not putting the info about the car. Newb mistake. lol It is a 95. It was the first car I had. When I joined the military it sat for about 4 years, and I came across a 350 block and a TH350 Trans for extremely cheap. So I bored the block, and I am putting in a 383 stroker. I built the block so long ago, I dont remember everything I put in it. Another newb mistake. The intake, and heads are stock to the motor. Its a late 1970's block. I am trying to stick to my budget. lol Like that will happen. I have a Holley 650 Carb, and I have not picked out the exhaust yet. Any recomendations would be great. I decided to go a little small on the rearend. I put a 3:42 posi, got rid of the rear drums and put discs in. I cut the entire harness out of the car and re wired from scratch. I will post pics as soon as I can. I have a pretty hectic schedule. The car has taken me awhile due to my work. thanks again for the quick reply.

Old 05-16-2010 | 06:56 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The exhaust will need to be custom made or atleast the headers will need to be modified. The floor on the drivers side is a problem for true duels.

You rewired the entire car and you refer to the project as pretty easy? With the 95 did you have to rewire all the power windows and door locks and stuff? I think once GM started to use the body control modual this "Cutting out the computer" got a lot harder.

Old 05-16-2010 | 11:32 AM
|

The car does not have power windows. When I purchased the car at 16, I did not care. ha I just wanted that Camaro!! But I did have power locks installed. The wiring was kind of difficult, but once I learned how to read the circuit diagrams, it went fairly smooth. Just checked the wipers a few mins ago, and I missed a wire. haha Now they work.

thanks for the info on the Kmember and headers. I can not wait till this baby runs.

Have a good one.

Old 05-16-2010 | 08:36 PM
4th Gear Member

I don't think anyone has said that "it can't be done"

In faact, what I glean from your post is that the install is not complete and perhaps the motor is still out of the car on a stand??

You can drop a big block into a Toyota Corolla. All you need to do is fabrication but it can be done. if you read the posts here, the theme is always economics. It is more economical to sell the sixer and buy a v8 version

Old 05-17-2010 | 11:32 AM
Overdrive Member

I personally dont know why someone would want to remove the FI engine in favor of a carb. The FI gets better horsepower and fuel economy, the learning curve for the computer controls is not that big, and all the same concepts of carburation still exist in a FI engine just the methods are different. Good luck getting everything in place and working properly, and I would love to see some pics of this swap. How did you get the air cleaner on the engine? If my memory serves me right there is only about 2" from the top of the carb to the bottom of the cowl using the stock engine mounts. Oh and the build that I seen this on was never finished, the guy got in too deep and ended up putting a new fresh 3.4L back in the car.

Massey

Old 05-17-2010 | 12:25 PM
|

I will post some pics as soon as I get some. Gotta remember my camera from home. ha. Well the reason I put the 350 in was because the car had been sitting for about 4 years and when I parked it the tranny was going bad and it barely ran. Just needed some love. Well when I came back I gave it some love and the tranny ended up going out and found out it had a blown head gasket. Well I had another car so it was not a top priority and I ended up getting a block and tranny for about $150. Rebuilt it and am in the process of throwing it in. If you search for Vtechkiller's post, he has the completed project with pics as well. He solved the air filter fitting by getting a 4" cowl hood. I'll be doing the same I'm sure. Guess we will see when my mounts come in. As for changing the engine to a carb... Well I like the simplicity older cars had. Thats my main reason. Easy to get to, easy to fix. No so many sensors and electrical stuff that cars have now a days. Not to mention the cost factor to fix the problems with newer cars. Everything is so tight it is hard to even do a tune up. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Basically it comes down to personal preference. And this one is mine.

Old 05-17-2010 | 01:12 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

so you don't actually have the motor in the car...and the 4" cowl hood is exactly why i would NEVER do this swap

Quick Reply: Ever Famous 4th Gen V6 to Carb V8 Topic