Engine Modification Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:42 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97Beast
Well to be honest, what components do i need to do a full 383 stroke or 393 for that matter? And i was talking to a local mechanic, he was telling me that even though a supercharger would run a little more, the installation would be easier and that force induction would be better than stroking because it would maintain a lot of your internals and would make it so i dont have to pay for labor to open the engine up? any opinions?
Also, to torque_is_good, i have confidence that i can do any modification except involving changing engine internals, i can do pretty much anything else.
then it sounds like you have another vehicle to drive while this is going on.

As for doing "internals", what is the definition of internal? Once you pull the intake manifold and undo the rockers you can get the pushrods and those aren't tough. Then you can get the lifters, also not tough. Pop off the heads (easier said than done if the engine is still in the car) and now basically all that's left is the camshaft (slide it out from the front) the crank rods/pistons. So, at what point do you stop?

Prepare yourself that anything which takes x period of time on a pickup or 3rd gen camaro will take 2x to 3x the time because of the tight quarters in the engine bay.

To begin, check the sticker in the glove box and see what gears you have. if it's 2.73:1 then change them. After that, some long tube headers, a CAi and a tune by Solomon and I think you'd be surprised by the low end torque in the LT1. You may find that those mods are enough or perhaps a mild cam swap.

If you have an auto tranny, budget in an upgraded rebuild. I did a stock rebuild on my 4L60E and then added long tubes, ORY, CAI, tune and 1.6 RR's. Mr tranny went buh bye.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep real easy to pop 10k into one of these. if i remember right around 2k to stroke your block at a good shop. i would not expect a stock lt1 with 100k miles on it to last to long with a super charger but i havent got much research into it.

Last edited by craby; 11-12-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:15 PM

Ok, well, first i apologize for all my question. Lets put the stroking and the supercharger aside, what would be a good list of (in order) of parts i should start putting in from bolt ons to other more comprehensive stuff?

Old 11-14-2010, 12:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 11-17-2010, 01:41 PM

This is fantastic craby, thanks.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 PM

Hey, you guys, i had one more question. I have access to two supercharger sets, and i wanted your guy's input. There are 2 sellers, one is selling a Powerdyne BD-11 Supercharger, complete with everything for an LS1, now i know i would have to hunt for the bracket to make it work on an LT1 for 1600 dollars, or theres a person selling a V2 Vortech supercharger, without any other components, just the centrifugal supercharger it self for 1200. What do you guys think?

Old 12-09-2010, 08:07 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

start with the bolt-ons before you start thinking supercharger

a good CAI, headers, gears, torque converter if auto, 1.6 rockers. see if that will be enough for a while

Old 12-09-2010, 01:46 PM

Well thats the point, i got a CAI coming in the mail already, headers were gunna change once i got the charger. So what do you think? and i had a quick question the V2 Vortech came off a mustang from before, would the supercharger work on my LT1 with a bracket change?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do not run boost in a engine with the stock headgaskets and stock connecting rod bolts. With a 100K a set of headers 1.6 rockers, CAI and a tune you run it hard and you will most likely blow the headgaskets without boost. Boosting a 100K stock motor never ends well.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:50 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97Beast
Well thats the point, i got a CAI coming in the mail already, headers were gunna change once i got the charger. So what do you think? and i had a quick question the V2 Vortech came off a mustang from before, would the supercharger work on my LT1 with a bracket change?

you can make anything work if you have the time and money

why are you so intent on forced induction?

Have you completed all the bolt ons that posters have suggested?

Again, let me outline my 95Z

4L60E with a street/strip rebuild ( stock rebuild didn't hold up)

Cold Air Intake
EGR and AIR delete
Airfoil in the throttle body
trickflow intake elbow
1.6 comp cam roller rockers
Pacesetter long tube headers
Off road Y pipe
Magnaflow system
3.23:1 gear ratio

tuned for 93 octane by Solomon

275x40x17's all around

at 20 mph if I punch it, the rear end kicks out on me

I reckon that it must be putting down over 300 foot pounds of torque to the wheels

Quick Reply: Engine Modification Help Please