Engine Blew.... time to upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Engine Blew.... time to upgrade.

So... was driving back from tennessee this weekend, I knew i was leakin oil bad, so.... every 100 miles I would stop to check the level. after going a 100 miles and loosin 3 quarts, I said that was enough... she's dead. Next time I fired the motor, it blew a piston ring. so.... Next weekend I am going to try and pull the old motor out and make room for an upgrade. I had a 3.8L, and now I am looking for any kind of v8. I am going to go with a carbureted setup instead of dealing with all the computer junk. I am also going to go with a turbo 350... most likely. I was just wanting some input from anyone who has previously done this or known someone that has.... possibly issues that I might run into. things that will need to be modified stuff like that. I think I might go with a BMR tubular k-member as well for some clearance. Has anyone ever installed one? How hard is it? Any other hints when dropping the motor out the bottom? Anything is helpful. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 PM
2nd Gear member

haha nice signature "151,000 miles strong" ...yeahhhhhh about that haha

and, does your state have emissions and inspection? if so, your not going to be able to do this. If you dont know what im talking about, your golden. swap away. perfect opportunity for a custom job.
just know what your going to be getting into.. biggest one being fuel system (as in delivery), managing your charging system, throttle linkage, cooling, ignition system, accessories and comparability (power steering? a/c?), header clearance, hooking up your factory key tumbler to the ignition, management of factory gauges, BCM stuff, gauges, shifter, just to name a few obstacles..
trust me, ive thought about this idea too theres a lot to considder!!!

i say go go go for it.. its a sweet idea to do.. however, i disagree when you say 'computer junk', haha because fuel injection and electronic controls is a good thing!!! its just carbs and old school is cool school

Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Overdrive Member

Well lets see here...

Any ideas on how you are going to access the distributor? You do know that the LT1 was built for the Camaro, No other vehicle that recieved the LT1 needed the dizzy in the front. Have fun dropping the engine to change the cap and rotor. And forget timing it and changing the plug wires. Oh and you do know where the air cleaner is going to end up right? Yup you guessed it right under the windshield.

You also know that the 3.8L engine put out more ponies than any 70's, 80's, and early 90's 350s. How do you plan on working with the ABS system? That needs the PCM and data from the trans and engine to work properly, VATS and other body controls are dependant on the PCM to operate properly. Gauges need the PCM... do you feel a trend here?

Computer crap as you call it, is bringing in a new Muscle Car era. Cars starting in the mid 90's up to today have been getting more and more HP with less emissions and better fuel economy. Why? Computer crap. You can build a much higher compression engines with better A/F ratios, optimum advance curves, and get the most out of the engine with less effort and money. Try this with a carb engine... You will get power or mileage but not both. You get both with a FI engine.

Also upgrading to a V8 is a HUGE undertaking in these cars. Trust me here I have witnessed the swap happen, and even helped out a little.

I made a thread on where you can find a new 3.8L engine and that will be the most economical way to get running again. If you go with an LT1 or LS1 engine you will need to buy an entire car that has not been parted out yet to get everything you will need for the swap. If you go carb engine, expect to pay thousands more and never be able to sell the car for 1/4 of what you have into it.

Massey

Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

^ said it before i coulda

Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 PM
4th Gear Member

just a little confusion that I need cleared

did 1995's have the 3.4 or the 3.8?

The OP shows having a 1995

Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Both if im not mistaken

Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

California had 3.8 others was an option, a rare one at that.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Only .4% of all Camaros made in 95 were 3.8s. Of those they were a late model addition and all were sent to CA. Another note all 3.8s were OBDII.

Massey

Old 03-23-2011, 10:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ya... the more I think about it, I just wanna get the engine in it rebuilt and back in operation.... I thought about making this the weekend project (for several hundred weekends), but... I am already building a big block to put in my project so... maybe getting this thing going again would be best. I triend putting it up on craigslist as is... already been getting attention. but.... for time and maybe a $500 rebuild kit... she could be fine. and yes... this is the rare california 3.8... no one believes me when i go to advanced or wherever to get codes read and they say they cant because they think it is OBDI.

as for the computer junk... I know it is awesome and has millions of benefits.... but as for cost and ease of installation, i go with carbureted on all my engines. Maybe someday, when I have my degree and am makin some money I can think about fuel injection, but for now...

and... as for all the other systems that rely on the computer, i should have specified.... they would have been gone (all that could be removed atleast) it would have been a stripped down car. not much confort items.

But.... as for now. we'll stick with the rebuild. anyone know where I can get a good rebuild kit? I will most likely be replacing pistons, rings, main and cam bearings, hopefully NOT the cam, and seals and gaskets. any suggestions?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would suggest picking up a 3.8 series 3 from a wrecking yard and switching it with yours. more power,,, massey can help with that. just had a guy asking about it.

Quick Reply: Engine Blew.... time to upgrade.