Electrical gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Electrical gremlins

I have a 93 z28 with the LT1 adn have been trying to tackle an electrical gremlin and need some advice. I have narrowed it down to the courtesy fuse and it looks like it has something to do with the radio. I basically ran a multimeter from the battery to the terminal to check the draw on the battery. I disconneted the radio and the amperage draw went down to next to nothing. I thought that the radio was the problem so I bought a new one. I put the new radio in and lo and behold...same damn thing. I disconnected the wiring to the amp and to the cd changer and still the same damn thing. I thought it could have been a bad radio....so i pulled the one outta my truck and still the same draw. I can't remember off hand what it was reading as it has been a couple of weeks, but it was a good enough draw to kill a battery in 3-5 days. I don't drive the car that often, but I definitely don't want to have to keep a battery charger permanently hooked up to it. I have thought about a battery disconnect switch, but would like to fix the problem and not band-aid it.
Any help and/or confidence booster would be appreciated.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Electrical gremlins

I would check the voltage etc at the radio harness and see where that is. Maybe you have a grounded wire or something. Do you have the radio hooked up correctly? I know stupid question but have to ask. All else run a constant 12v lead from a reliable source and see if that fixes you problem. If so then bad wiring somewhere. If not than something else screwed up. I assume you don't suspect a bad battery or bad alternator?

Old 09-22-2007, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Electrical gremlins

I wonder why it blocked out the word courtesy or c0urtesyon me in the post above.....maybe that may help people understand what I meant and maybe someone has an idea.......though this board has been kinda shoddy on responses recently I noticed.

I would rather try to fix the problem then just put a band-aid over it