EFan motor replaments

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 01:36 PM
Default EFan motor replaments

I just joined the forum and looking forward to learning, seeking assistance, and enjoying exchange of information. I have been a lifelong Chevy owner with three classic cars: 57 Chevy 210 2-dr station wagon, 87 El Camino, and 92 S-10 ext cab.

One reason for joining CF is I recently installed dual Efans from a 4th Gen Camaro as an upgrade on the 87 Elky. Unfortunately, the fan motors are squealing and I would like to find replacement motors. I would appreciate help with information on good sources and, if possible, part numbers.

Thank you in advance.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Do you know what 4th generation Camaro the fans were taken from? I don't believe GM replacement fans are still available, but the parts manual gives an AC Delco number that may be.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:46 PM

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately no, I don't know the specific source vehicle model as I was given the dual fan setup. As I stated, I am retrofitting the dual efans onto my 87 El Camino and using a Painless 30117 relay kit with 3 relays to control fan operations. As currently set up, it appears both fans function when either the AC or temperature sensor reaches 185 degrees F. I was hoping to have separate functionality of each fan: Fan #1 when temps reach 185F and Fan #2 only when AC is turned on. So, basically, both fans will run only when AC is turned on; at other times when temp is above 185F, only one fan will run to cool the radiator.

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thank you.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 57 Handyman
Unfortunately no, I don't know the specific source vehicle model as I was given the dual fan setup.
Unfortunately, I don't think anyone will be able to give you a part number for a replacement motor without more information. As you can see in the picture below from the parts manual, there four different fan motors used depending on the model year and motor the car came equipped with. You'll also notice this does not show a left hand fan motor. Try and look for a number on an existing fan motor or shroud assembly that may identify what the donor car was.

Without seeing a wiring diagram for the relay system you're using, I can't tell how the fans are suppose to function. The fact that three relays are used makes me think that it could be wired to run the fans in a series or parallel configuration to control the fan speeds. It that is the case, both fans run all the time.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:00 PM

Luckily, I was able to find replacement motors on Rock Auto and ended up ordering 2 units. The url contains installation instructions manual and shows a wiring diagram on last page.

https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/30117.pdf

Old 01-14-2021, 11:22 PM
2nd Gear member

I was hoping to have separate functionality of each fan: Fan #1 when temps reach 185F and Fan #2 only when AC is turned on. So, basically, both fans will run only when AC is turned on; at other times when temp is above 185F, only one fan will run to cool the radiator.
Just so you understand, the fans will not operate like you describe above. Both fans will turn "ON" at the same time when either the temp switch reaches the set temp level or the AC compressor is energized.

Last edited by peterpar; 01-14-2021 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:06 AM

Peter, I called Painless tech support and spoke with two techs on two different calls. After I explained the functionality I was seeking which was to have only one fan run when the temp reached 185F and the other fan run when the AC was turned on, he said I should have bought separate relay kits for each fan. However, to make this set up work as I wanted, I could cut the green wire and have separate fan functionality. After I hung up and examined the diagram, I wondered whether there was an optimal location for cutting the green wire--after the location where the blue and green wires are joined OR after the relay and before the diode. Upon re-calling tech support, I spoke with another tech who told me the functionality I sought was not possible with this setup.

So, at this point, which Painless tech do I believe? Looking at the diagram, which tech is giving the right information? What do you think?

Old 01-15-2021, 12:52 AM
2nd Gear member

I wondered whether there was an optimal location for cutting the green wire--after the location where the blue and green wires are joined OR after the relay and before the diode. Upon re-calling tech support, I spoke with another tech who told me the functionality I sought was not possible with this setup.

So, at this point, which Painless tech do I believe? Looking at the diagram, which tech is giving the right information? What do you think?
I think the purpose of the diode is to prevent a positive back feed at the #2 fan relay coil when both relay coils are energized. If you only wanted one fan to run when the temp switch closed and both when the AC is "ON", I would think you should remove the green wire from the temp switch at fan relay coil #2. This would only allow both fans to run when the AC compressor is energized. Are you sure one fan will be enough to cool the engine without the AC "ON". I should have explained if you cut the green wire with the diode between the two relays, only one fan motor will run when the AC compressor is energized and both fans will run with the temp switch. That is why you should disconnect the green wire coming from the temp switch at fan relay #2.

Last edited by peterpar; 01-15-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:09 AM
4th Gear Member

Nice figures, Peter.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:47 PM

Thanks Peter...I decided to leave the wiring alone and just run it as designed. Since installing the new motors, what happened the other day is intriguing. With both fans running and in stop-and-go traffic with little air movement, my stock engine temp gauge registered in the extreme range. So, I pulled over to check my cooling system and was surprised to find it was not about to boil over; I was able to touch the radiator end tanks which were hot but not scalding. Since then, I have driven it around without incident but keeping a sharp eye on the gauge and carrying a jug of water handy.

Quick Reply: EFan motor replaments