Dream '95

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Dream '95

I have a 1995 3.4 auto with T-Roof. My goal is to replace the 3.4 with a LS6 or LS2, in addition to a couple other things.

I know I need a new transmission and a new computer. Would stealing them from a C5 be just as effective?

I'm sure I'll need better suspension for the added weight and power. I'll also need stopping power in the form of bigger brakes. Again, would parts from a C5 be just as effective?

What other things would I need to change. Guages maybe? Starter? Fuel pump?

Are there alternate engines that would put out the same power with maybe less complications? I keep getting conflicting reports from each person or mechanic I speak with and it's confusing me.

Thanks!

Jared

Old 05-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Overdrive Member

Fuel pump, radiator w/fans, tranny, a rear end, engine, PCM, wiring harness, new k-member, gauges, exhaust, front springs, v8 steering rack, torque arm, and I'm sure there are things I am missing. I hope you have a big wallet.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:48 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^hit the major things...its not a cheap swap. you're basically going to be changing the whole car

Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Dear god. Again that's more than anyone else has said. Would tearing apart a C5 be the best way to go then or should I just buy a C5?

The reason I'm doing is because I'm sick at seeing all these people buy brand new cars (or used) make all these cosmetic change without any intention of upgrading the mechanicals and then drive like they have the hottest, fastest car around. On the other hand, there are a lot old gentlemen that I'm jealous of because they have these gorgeous Camaros that sound marvelous as they idle and gently accelerate... to half the speed limit then cruise there.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:14 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

i'm not a corvette fan so if it were me and i was hell bent on doing this, i would tear apart a c5 and go from there...but cost wise it would be smarter to buy a c5

Old 05-06-2009, 04:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get a 4th gen z28 or 5th gen camaro. of course if u like having room for one passanger only then a vette is a good choise. dont know what id do without all the room in my camaro, its like having a small truck, only better.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 05-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Overdrive Member

Tearing apart a C5 will accomplish 2 things:
1) It will **** off some Corvette guys (this could be a bad thing since most of them have at least some money)
2) It will only net you a motor and some wiring.

You can't actually swap out the drive line and transmission from a C5. They have a rear mounted transmission that will be completely incompatible with your car. You once again will not be able to take the breaks, they probably wouldn't even mount correctly. Think about tearing apart an LS1 Camaro, you'll have much more luck there, although it's still going to be pricey.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

it'll be timely, costly and difficult, but i would go the route that slvr suggested, tearing arart a C5 will not really be worth your time truthfully,

and that picture of the lifted camaro is the stupidest thing i have ever seen in my entire life.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I suppose in that case I might as well buy a LS1 Camaro and just drop the engine in it. That's probably the easiest route... only problem will be it's not MY Camaro.

Now the parts as StanGT listed, can I pull those from a LS1 Camaro or a later model Trans Am and use them with the LS6 without problem? Actually, what can I take from an earlier 4th Gen or even a 3rd?

Thank you for your help so far. Sure beats getting the run around.

Any other suggestions, tricks, tips or parts I definitely need before I put the engine in?

Last edited by Camaro95; 05-07-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Dream '95