Door Skin Separating!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Door Skin Separating!

So my door skin on the drivers side is starting to separate from the door. What kind of adhesive would one use to fix this? It looks to have been glued once or twice before. It has some nasty build up in there where someone tried fixing it. Ideas? I can take pics tomorrow if you guys want. Thanks!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Banned

You need to use a fiberglass resin to repair the type of molded plastic that your door is made from.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Chaotic, you have two choices, fix it right or fix it again. You need to use an epoxy based panel adhesive, which will last. Although fiberglass resin can hold, it won't hold for long because it isn't an adhesive for your need. That's likely what was tried and failed before. 3M makes a good panel adhesive called Automix, but you need a special applicator gun for it. You can borrow mine, but it would probably be cheaper to buy one than to chase up here!
Here's what it is, but shop around: 3M automix | eBay

Old 06-05-2012, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Pics? I think mine is doing that too

Old 06-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Banned

Thanks Camaro69. I wasn't aware of a special repair material specificly for that appliation. Gusts great to know.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:48 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'll post pics when I get back to the shop.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Your door is not made out of fiberglass but a similar composite called SMC or Sheet Molded Compound. FG resin will not hold for long so you need to get a product like 69 said that is designed for SMC. If you are seeing some blue/green looking adheasive already in the seam that is what the factory used to bond the panels when the door was made.

Massey

Old 06-05-2012, 05:11 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

just did my driver side door, at least did the top part. put the window down, put a spacer in to hold the door skin away from the door, peeled and scraped the old glue off and roughed up the door skin and door with some sand paper. the mixer tips are small so it was easy to get a bead in the little crack, i then put some folded papar over the door/door shin and clamped using spring loaded clamps that dont really clamp hard. for the top part that was clamped last i used vise grips set light but not to light. i then let it set for a day,,, well i was fishing and busy so didnt drive the car. anyways im real happy, window doesnt rattle anymore and the door as a nice thunk to it when closed now even with the window part open. i got the gun (3M Manual 200 mL Cartridge Applicator Gun - 08571) from auto body toolmart for 50 bucks.

Last edited by craby; 06-05-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned
Smile

I knew it was smc but figured fg would work. Silly me. I've always replaced the door or the panels so I wasn't aware of the difference. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Banned

Btw, the reason the car is made from smc which btw is what the Satfurn was made from, is because the 4th generation camaro was originally called the GM80 project and was being designed to be a front wheel drive car much like the Ford Probe was going to be the new fwd Mustang, untill public outcry forced ford to redesign the car. So they called it a probe and then discontinued it. chevy did dame thing and decided to redesign the camaro, however, they kept the smc design. This is public knowledge printed in many camaro books btw.

Quick Reply: Door Skin Separating!