door skin removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User
Default door skin removal

so im gunna sell the door skin off the drivers side how do i go about removing it

Old 12-31-2010, 04:54 PM
Overdrive Member

dont even try it is glued on solid around the edges and there should be about 4 or 5 spots on the reinforcment bar. They dont come off pretty, just sell the whole door and you should be able to get about $100-150 for it easy.

Massey

Old 12-31-2010, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear member

I went to pull a part today and there was a car where someone tried to do this. Didn't turn out to well.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear member

Unless you have a sawsall, and just shred the inner structure, I doubt that an average shadetree can do this real easily. Saving the inner door structure at the expense of the skin should be pretty easy. Saving the skin at the expense of the inner structure should also be fairly straight forward. I can't think of a simple way to remove the skin without damage to the skin or inner structure.

Although, professional body shops must have some process for replacing a door skin without destroying the inner door structure. You could try asking at a few body shops and see what they have to say on the subject.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:30 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

He's wanting to get off the door skin so he can sell it to me. I trashed my drivers door today. Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDwJiHJ5mWw

Old 12-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It would take me less time to patch that area than it would to replace the skin, or the whole door for that matter. Do you know how to work with fiberglass, or want to learn? I'm sure there are how to tutorials on youtube.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Overdrive Member

Well I have skinned many of these cars and there is no simple way to remove the skins. We used to just cut the skin off around the frame, then take a welding torch and heat up the outer skin till the glue softened up enough where we could get a putty knife through the 2 pieces. Using a putty knife on a air hammer worked the best but was still a pain in the a$$. After the door skin is off then you need to clean up the frame and prep it for gluing on the new panel.

Getting the new skin on is also tricky since you need to add the new glue (It is a special glue for SMC and must meet the OEM crash ratings) then hang the door before the glue sets and line the body lines up! hold till it starts to set then remove and place on a stand to dry. About 2 hours later you can clean up the skin/frame add more adheasive to the reinforcement bar and prep for paint.

In your case I would just replace the whole door and call it good with some paint work. Skinning these was hard when they were new I cant imagine how it would be now that the cars are 10+ years old.

Massey

P.S. I would skin a metal door any day over another one of these doors.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Even with metal doors saving a skin is not really possible. Why not just install the whole door? Much less work.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:11 AM
Overdrive Member

I never said I would remove the metal skin just to put it on another door. I just would rather skin a metal door over a Camaro, Corvette or FIrebird door.

Massey

Old 01-01-2011, 03:39 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

well it would be cheaper to ship the skin rather the whole door

Quick Reply: door skin removal